2nd gear bogging

Hey guys,

Just finished the 5 speed swap. The tranny is old so some things are expected, such as the first gear issues lol. But they don’t really worry me to much.

The thing thats bugging me is in 2nd gear between 2000-3000 rpm the car bogs a little. It is kinda jumpy, sort of like first gear if your light on the gas with no clutch, not feathering. This problem occurs on light to mid throttle usage (if that makes sense).

Any ideas you can bounce off me would be helpful for sure.

Thanks guys.

Doesn’t anyone have any clues on this?

could be lack of fuel bogging if its going crazy

or could be your clutch technique?

try taking out an injector and looking at the o rings , check if any liquids can get around in there.

just try to release smoother?

Yup, I thought it was my driving at firstm, since I’m used to driving much more ‘luxurious’ and easy, mushy clutch and 5 speed tranny. But I noticed it’s happening in a range between 2-3k RPM. Which would not be explained by a smooth or rough clutch release.

I’ll check the injectors and all that, the car HAS been begging for a tune-up. That’s next on my list of things to do.

Any other suggestions would be helpful aswell.

it would be hard for it to be your clutch technique in 2nd

even if you let the clutch out with no gas what so ever, most times youll still get going since youve got the momentum coming out of first

Well I was out driving today and it seems to have improved. It still occasionally happens. But I think it was the gear oil still settling in the synchros. That is my best guess. Over last night it has improved drastically.

I’ll keep you updated.

Thanks for the help guys.

Is the idle steady when you’re stopped?

If it’s up and down a lot then you’ll find that it will cause bogging/surging while driving as well, mostly noticeable around that RPM (2-3,000). Typically just dirty or poor plug/plug wire connections or parts, dirty IACV or the like.

If the idle is steady then yeah i’d guess it to be something else totally…of course said “tune-up” would never hurt anything lol.

Good luck man, good to see you driving manual! :slight_smile:

Ya Rpm’s never drop below 650-700 at idle. EVER. Motor runs strong, always has.

This car was my first automatic ever, never drove auto before this car lol. So it’s good to be back in the family, trust me.