2WD truck - what tires to get

I’ll be doing a LOT of driving this winter. A lot of times on back roads/muddy driveways/gas well roads. I have a 2wd Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L. It’s currently rocking a set of pretty worn 33.12.50’s. Should I just get a set of good mud terrains? I have no idea how they do on snow and ice. Any suggestions?

I have mud tires on my truck now and honestly just by looking at them i think they would suck on ice(just about anything does). But my dad always got away with decent winter tires and some sand bags in the bed of his 2wd dodge d150

bfg at’s, they are amazing in snow, talk to chaz from first bass he got me my set

with mine i have kept the truck parked. i never had luck with mine in the snow. good luck let me know what tires work for you since i may be interested in some too.

Bfg a/t’s keep me from ever having to put the jeep into 4wd,

my friends with m/t’s have had less luck in the snow

round ones

all terrains, whats going to hurt u the most, 2wd, soo get some good weight in the back of that truck

I never bought winter tires for a truck and I have always had 2wd trucks(4wd is for sissies). I do build a box out of 2x4’s and stack some concrete block back by the tailgate though. Any set of truck tires with a fairly aggressive tread pattern should do good in the snow

I run BFG at’s they are a good tire in the mud/snow/street

i had destination a/ts on my ram. i was impressed at the 2wd traction in heavy snow. rarely used 4x4.

Our Silverado is 2WD, last year it made it around on near-bald Kelly Safari’s.

By buddy has BFG Mud Terrains or A/T’s, one of the two, and gets around fine.

I’m not just worried about the snow. I’ll be running around the backroads of Northern PA. Places where there are no snow plows, no tar/chip, and no cell phone coverage. Mud and ruts. :hs:

Pewter’s Uncle (I think) can set you up with some Cooper’s. Everything I’ve gotten from them has been good stuff. King’s Super Tire next to Wal-Mart in Mount Pleasant.

Throw a couple bags of sand in the back for weight (or dump them out under the wheels when traction is needed) and you’ll be good to go.

A set of BFG AT’s and some weight in the back and you’ll be set.

I thought only the RT’s had the 5.9… sure you dont have a 5.2?

for RWD vehicles I’ve always used some decent snow tires like coopers and studs

I thought there was only a Dakota R/T?

Nonetheless, we have a 2001 Quad Cab Dakota with the 5.9 and a buddy of mine has an 2000 Ram with the 5.9 as well. It is a gas HOG

I think they had either motor, 5.2 or 5.9…a Z in the vin number makes it an R/T

They had the 5.9’s in Rams all the time, along with 5.2’s… Dakota R/T’s had the 5.9 as well.

xlogic - thats not a real R/T. All real R/T’s are 5.9, that also looks to be 4WD the way it stands. R/T’s had different wheels too.

A real Dakota R/T:
http://www.dodgedakotart.com/images/stories/information/1999dakrt3.jpg

Zack, RT’s reportedly came with the 5.2 OR the 5.9 outside of the states, and please show me where i said that was a real R/T…

x2