300ZX brakes & 5 lug swap help

Hey gang, I picked up the goods from JDM-P tonight, and as soon as I pick up some other items I intend to get it under way. This isn’t gonna be soon, probably late August, but I’d like to see who would be interested and able to help me out. I can’t really offer cash, but any part that isn’t on my car when we’re done, you can take, and I’m going to feed you. I don’t need a lot of people for this, but it’d be great if someone with a good selection of tools came, b/c I do not have pretty much anything.

This is the stuff I have, and I’ve heard that only two holes need to be drilled and it’ll just fit on my S13 (all of these parts are off an R32):

30mm aluminum calipers, rotors, pads, hubs
2 pot rears w/ what appears to be most of the rear suspension and everything.
I’ll also be grabbing a Z32 MC and the lines from Bing’s GB.

If you’re willing to help, post or pm, or add to msn.

Thanks!

please take pictures and write the steps you took. im in the same boat dude. exact same boat…

Way ahead of you there sport.

http://www.son240sx.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14664

I did the swap and what I posted in the thread above is all you need.
Nothing complicated about it. Just the grunt work and the metal sleeves
(or drilling your sturts) is about the only complicated thing.

PM me when you need help. Or others PM him if you want to help.

Locked to avoid further discussio on same topic.

I’ve re-opened this thread, since I have now created a new section for
posting Help Wanted.

In that case, lemme add the info required:
I live in Woodbridge, it’d be near the end of august, and I prefer weekend, but I can take any day off for this.

Eek… I noticed one more thing while reading through the FAQ. It does not include REAR brakes, and it says it’s a PITA to do them :noes:
Has anyone here done rears as well?

Okay gang, I’ve got the wheels, and I’m picking up the brake master soon, can anyone that wants to help, please post their availability, so I’ll know when to take days off work.

Thanks,
Ant

BUMP! I need this done SOON, my folks are selling the house and need the garage space + the cash from selling off my old brakes & rims. PLZ urgent!

Sorry I haven’t responded to your PM.

I’m gonna be busy next few weekends (working/preparing my own car,
helping bro move, etc.)

Weekdays I have no time.

What kind of help do you need?

What tools are you missing? Buy an elect. impact from Princess Auto if
you haven’t already.

Not too sure what kind of tools the job requires, but I will be picking up the electric impact wrench… if I can find it… so far I’ve had some difficulty locating it on their website, I think I’ll just call in and ask. Just tell me when you can come and if you can bring some tools that you think are necessary, since I have very little on hand.

Edit: found it!

Tools you need:

• Your basic supply of wrenches/ratchets/breaker bars
  • Impact gun to remove rear hub bolts (and then some)
  • 32mm deep socket to remove rear hub bolt

Parts you need:

• S14 ball joints
  • Front sleeves for coilover/strut bolts so you can use S13 struts/coilovers and S13 bolts (or drill your coilovre/strut and use S14 bolts)

Service you need:

• Press to press out old front bal joints and press in new S14 ball joints, press out/in old/new rear hub

Wonder if I left anythng out… :dunno:

You should be able to do these on your own…but yea, call if you get stuck or something

Avoid doing the rear brakes at first…

Ehh… considering the nature of this and my general prepared-ness when it comes to doing car things, I’d much rather wait till someone that knows wtf they’re doing shows up and tells me what to do step by step. I mean, it doesn’t LOOK all that difficult, but neither did everything else I’ve ever done on the car, and it all turned into a long ass painful job that broke some other part of the car that I also was left to fix. So I’ll just wait for you, or whoever else knows how to do this to come and be like: “pick up that wrench over there, and unscrew that nut” Otherwise everything will go to hell and my dad will hang me for making a mess out of the garage.

Yeah he’s asking for physical help, not tech advice. Hence his post in the Help Wanted section.

Fine, but let me ask him one thing.

Solarian:
Do you have all the parts, tools, and services needed that I mentioned?
If so, then you really don’t need anyone’s help. It’s not all that difficult.

I mean if I can do it, you can do eet.

Seriously dude, assuming you’re all prepared, its’ all just comes down
to removing nuts and bolts. :o

As mentioned earlier; I’m gonna be tight for a few weeks. If you don’t
mind waiting, then I’ll come give you a hand on a weekend in the future.

I don’t mind waiting as long as I know that someone will eventually come :smiley: And I’m gonna go pick up the ball joints & electric impact wrench in the meanwhile, so I should be set to go whenever you’re ready.

Dude,

this weekend I might be able to help your ass. Here is the catch.
You need to tell me exacly what you have. 2nd, scrap the 300z rear brakes for now.

Ok so after talking with Gonad for some time you gotta tell us exacly what you have in regard to parts.

Front you will ned s14 hub and spindle.
Rear you can use either s14 stuff or 300zx n/a hubs.

SO, do you have these are is everything off a 300zx? If so you got yourself a problem I believe.

Andrew.

Yea, what Andrew said.

Just so you know, removing multi-link suspension is a lot more PITA then
removing a motor.

I say in the meantime, start losening your control arm bolts. If you don’t
know which, look at the FSM.

This isn’t rocket science, and you need to learn to do things on your own
without having someone looking over you.

Hey ladies, I’m starting this today, and I wanted to know if anyone knows a shop that is open weekends where I could get my front balljoints pressed in, rear hubs pressed out then in?

Okay… this crap is a nightmare… Can anyone PLEASE show up tommorow that has done this before and help out? I hate this f*in car… Everything is rusted together and seized, and my impact wrench is too big to get into a lot of places.

Penetrating oil…alot of penetrating oil, let it sit overnight, then come back to it.