300zx upgrade

So i know alot of people upgrade their braking system to the 300zx, and i was just wondering how useful is this swap?

search

Go with Taurus brakes.

I’ll let rogerthat240 chime in.

Here we go again…

Yes go with Taurus brakes :slight_smile: Cause mark is still funny and full of facts lol.

Keep in mind one thing. You get what you pay for. Although something can work, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the best thing (and the definition of best depends on your goals and ambitions…)

Your general upgrade options are either 300zx brakes or q45 brakes. The q45 brakes are cheap cheap, the 300zx are more money, but still cheap compared to new BBK kits.

The q45 calipers offer great clamping force however they have small rotors.

The z32 calipers have about the same clamping force, however offer larger rotors.

I have the exact specs+stats on all the nissan calipers somewhere, but I have to dig it up. The results are surprising. Q45 calipers aren’t that bad.

More pistons, doesn’t necessarily mean better, however it may mean better feel for your braking.

When it comes to braking torque, or ‘braking power’ larger rotors do increase it but by little. What actually significantly increases braking torque are the pads… However the more agressive pads you get, the more heat you generate, thus comes the benefit of larger rotors.

Increasing rotor size may or may not hurting your stopping distances depending on various factors. Even increasing to higher friction pads more aggressive pads may not result in shorter distances if you just lock up. Pads have linear, progressive and digressive characteristics depending on compound, application, etc… So there’s lots of factors to think about.

What really helps you stop better is the rubber, the tires. More grippy tire + good brakes = better braking. Shitty brakes + good tires = ?, shitty tires + the most expensive bling bling brakes = jack shit.

All jokes aside these are the facts.

You don’t ‘need’ any of these upgrades, but you may want them. That is all. I won’t tell no body what to get or not to, because what I ‘need’ or want is different to someone else’s explanations. That’s why the whole ruckus happened in the past.

I had 300zx brakes, much better than the stock stuff, but alas… I didn’t like it still. So I planned to get a custom wilwood setup and that’s exactly what I got now. Mark/fobwall went the same route. Regardless of arguments, that’s all there is to it.

If you daily drive your car and just want to get safely place to place, get good brake fluid, descent pads and new rotors, maybe some ss lines too. However if you manage to fade them, well perhaps its time for an upgrade. q45 and 300zx brakes are an option. After that… well something else. Can also make brake duct cooling.

Just remember to research and think about it. Bottom line is always, you get what you pay for and unfortunately this is something most 240 owners don’t get.

And yes I have my 300zx brakes for sale, 26mm calipers front, blank rotors, ss lines, HP+ pads, z32 rear, powerslot rotors, HPS pads, SS lines. If interested leme know, it’s up in the sales section.

No pressure, make your decision as to what you want or need. If you have the money by all means you could get a more expensive setup as is offered by many companies and people. I chose a custom wilwood setup as I weighed the pros and cons and the price and found it a satisfactory choice.

Bottom line is, no need for bs or silly childish arguments people.

if you plan on really tracking your car then id upgrade to 300 brakes

BUT

it doesnt matter how good your brakes are if you have shitty tires

THANKK YOU!

I can’t count how many times I’ve seen people leave out the importance of your tires in relation to how you stop, and how fast you do it.

A higher quality tire will stop you quicker than an average tire. Even if the brakes are identical.

simplemind7 has this upgrade. When he stomps on the brakes, your brain its your forehead. It stops faster then a 2006 s2000.

I’ll look into this swap a little bit more and compare it to other brake systems.

lol!

i have Z32 brakes with worn stock pads, stock rotors and stock rubber lines. it’s not that much of an upgrade, it’s because i have good tires (dunlop direzza z1 star spec) it’s hard to lock my wheels up.

like mentioned - get good tires first, brake upgrades aren’t much good if you can easily lock the tires with stock brakes.

I have 300zx 30mm irons with slotted rotors and Project Mu pads (Which are now quite worn). I also run some cheap Nexen 3000 (or some BS like that) 255/40/17 fron and rear. My car stops really damn quick.

300zx cuz it looks good. the end.

http://www.d26.net/240sx/mirrors/240sx_brake_upgrades.html

^that might help with your decisions

edit:
just remember to factor wheels into your budget if you know your current set will not clear. there are several threads out there listing which wheels work with 300zx (even oem too)

This is the most helpful, responsive thread ever. I’m saddened.

Hey Brenden, you have a z32 MC too, right?

oh waitt… someone is a fuckbag!

I run a Z32 MC but with a 180/S14 combo and S/S lines. Pedal feel is amazing, its always nice and stiff with a minimum amount of travel. I’d have to say out of all the upgrade braking parts (Calipers, Pads, Rotors, Lines etc) the MC was defiantly the best move.

hahaha, i am a fuckbag. if the car doesn’t get parted it’ll be done over the winter. shittiest pedal feel.

J30 or Q45 brakes is what I’m getting now, they are as good as z32 brakes for my needs and because I rather spend the money I save on nice deep dish wheels than on NISSAN logo behind them.

j30 q45 brakes are no where near a complete 300 set up. thats just somthing cheap ppl say…
ive had both trust me
do it right buy a complete 300 swap with a 300 master
ps go 5 lug

I just got my z32 brakes on my s13 stock pads all around, dimpled slotted rear rotors and r32 oem rotors front(need machining)ss lines and it stops pretty hard. The pedal is spongey but only because I dont have the mc in yet, but it is worth it in my opinion if you have a decent amount of power than you need brakes to stop you quickly with less fading, warping, shaking and bs. I have no experience with other brakes just voicing my opinion.

oh yea post 600!