350z Motor Swap?

Can any one recommend a decent motor to swap into a 350z?? Im not looking to upgrade my z with a turbo…but something different…no rb26

Drop in a Nissan V8 from the Titan Trucks!

One of the US drift cars did it before…

Vq45~!:slight_smile:

VK56DE - titan motor in Chris Forsberg’s Formula Drift 350Z

Are you serious?
You’ll get every possible motor swap out there.
What do you want? Balance/Handling? Straight line power? Reliability? Uniqueness? Light or Heavy? Obvious or Concealed? Small, Tall, Wide, Circular…???
Define DECENT in this context

a “decent” motorswap for the 350 would be another VQ35

leave the motor be and shorten the final drive gear ratio, the car will be faster then some forced induction VQ’s, not to mention a lot more fun.

hahaha you’re only saying that cause of my car Terry.
And don’t you mean make the Final Drive taller?

Not worth doing NA stuff to the VQ. For the money invested, TT or SC is a much better route.

$25000 for a TT and 450whp or $25000 for 300whp all motor? Not a hard decision. The VQ’s already maxxed out in the NA form.

Yes, but then again the reliability factor is grossly different.
Terry was telling me that a VQ engine blows like it is an open deck motor. Similar to a little Honda motor where the water jackets are wide open.

decent in regards to speed and originality…an RB26 would be nice…but it would cost an arm and a leg to put it in.

Decent in Speed and originality would with an RB26 is not.
That’s backwards technology. Originality would be like Pete said, a Rotor in your Z. To stay in line with date you’d go Renasis from a new RX-8, but you’d die with reliability issues.
A Rotor is good in that it will spin almost forever at any RPM considering you take off almost all the reciprocating mass and remove majority of the rotational mass.
Boost the motor (not really an option) and you have a serious punch. Couple it with another Renasis motor set and you’ve got a beast. A+ for originality.
But then again, you can get originality from putting in a L series motor from a 240Z in a 350Z.
You really need to be more specific. Speed in what way? Circle Track? Drift? Drag Race?

^its not really that bad…
I know someone cough with 200+ whp on top of OEM #'s, TT’d on a stock block.
As is usually the case, a good tune does wonders.

But I will agree that anything above 450whp on a stock VQ block is pushing the limits of the rods, which are the real weak point of the VQ35DE.

To OP,
Go with an LSX engine, one other person has done this so far, and they are at about 800whp.:smiley:

Keep us posted.

well in regards to a 240 motor are u saying a red top? or…i would say i would be looking for more acceleration along with drift possibilities…what would a rough idea for a swap be…or would that be dependent on the motor…also…how would i get rid of a my vq?

May I ask why, an SR20?..

You could give it to me. :smiley:

or me for free :smiley:

actually i got the idea from an article in sport compact car where they compared a riced out, wide body, supercharged 350Z, to a N/A 350Z that had few, key mods done to it. small N/A upgrades designed not to make power but to improve response. as well as a 2 way diff with shorter gears to maximize the use of the VQ’s stock potential. the stockish Z massacurred the riced out SC’d Z on the track.

swapping diffs, gears and such are often overlooked by most people cuz they dont show any changes on the dyno sheet. but the dyno sheet is bullshit, most imports have a high enough redline to make good use of a shorter final drive. they make the car wickid fun to drive, and they make it accelerate much faster. like yours pat, i’m always touching cloth when i get out of your car.

as far as the motor swap goes, nothing you could swap into the engine bay will be original… so why dont you just put a motor in the trunk instead?

I know this has been beat by other people, but…
The SR will not give you more acceleration. It’s a smaller motor and takes a lot more to get to the power that a VQ can. If you really want, paint the valve covers on your VQ red… hahaha
If I’m not mistaken it will not give you more drift possibilities. The SR in the 350Z brings it to a close 50/50 weight distribution. I believe that makes the car harder to drift.
The cost of a swap is dependent on the motor.

Everyone is offering to take the VQ off your hands for free, but why not make some money? I’ll give you $10 for it. hahaha

Terry the final drive on the stock TT 300ZX is 3.69
The final drive on my car is 4.08. I wish Pete were in my car on a real nice day when the Detonation sensor wasn’t going off so he could feel the REAL pull. Blah… there’s always next year :R