RB26 GT in a 350z??? Can it be done?

hey guys, just looking to possibly do this swap, ive seen an RB26 GT in a 350z before but didnt know where to find the GT version, most are GT-R which is AWD…any ideas on where to get the engine, and necessary parts for the swap, if it can even be done?:S…thanks! also anyone know any good body shops to install fiberglass body kit?

Hi,

Yes it can be done, but it will cost you an arm and a leg in fabrication alone.

Why not just build the vq?

Anyhow, good luck!

if you have the money to do a RB26 swap, why the fiberglass bodykit? as for the swap itself, i have yet to hear of anyone in ontario (let alone canada) successfully implement it. but i remember watching one of the latest BMI’s where some japanese tuner did a RB26 swap (not sure if it was a GT or GTR) into a z successfully.

so to answer your question, yes it’s possible. as for who can do it? who knows, but i’m sure importing the engine itself won’t be hard, just keep in mind that it’ll obviously require a lot of custom work including matching it with a proper tranny.

edit
damn church beat me by <1 min :stuck_out_tongue: shakes fist

^get back to work!
hahaha, wasup rich!:slight_smile:

haha, not much … it’s a slow day in the office, but we shouldn’t whore out this thread like the other one that got closed :slight_smile: but this thread can be fun … i call it the “hopes and dreams” thread.

not that i care much for a RB26 swap, i’m quite happy with my VQ and the potential it has even with minor strenghtening, but hey, if you want to be unique and have tons of people oogle your z at a show, a RB26 swap would create that.

try talking to the guys at japaneseimports.ca their phone number is on the site. not only can they bring in the parts you need plus they have a few rb26 engines lying around there and dennis(one of the guys there) can pretty much custom fabricate any part you might need as well as install the bodykit.

It can be done.

You will need an RB26 engine and an RB25 tranny, custom driveshaft, wiring, mounts for engine and tranny. You will need a lot of stuff custom fabbed and may have to play around with the mounts to get the engine to sit properly and line up the shifter in the correct spot etc.

I’ve got a good bodyguy if you need one.

http://www.modified.com/sportculture/feature_nov01.html
If you can put a SR20 into one im guessing anything is possible.

can i have ur vq if you doo doo the swap. cuz that would be siack in the s13

why did they put an SR20 in the 350? wouldnt an RB be better performance wise?

^they were using it early on in the 350z (for JGTC series) life because they were able to safely squeeze more power out of it, then compared to the fairly new VQ.

Great engine though.

R

how effective is the vortech supercharger for the 350z? would it be better than the sr20?

It’s been done before, by a little company called Top Secret :wink:

http://www.bespokeventures.com/topsecret/tsd1gpmarch06/DSC00747.JPG

well, top secret will put any motor in any car just for the hell of it. lol

They are the most reliable SC for the VQ. As to the comparison, I would not be qualified to answer that.
SC with a proper tune should put down close to 400whp, a finely tuned sr20 should put out the same, maybe slightly more.

But if you included an engine build it would be a totally different story.

IMO, tuners have yet to reach max potential from the VQ. Its still a fairly new powerplant, when compared to the SR20 or RB26.
I cant wait to see what happens in the next couple of years. (VQ tuning wise)

here’s the best motoring version of the rb26 350z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY4mXvWKUqI

sorry, no subs since it’s not BMI

If you are referring to the GTS-T by saying GT than its not an RB26DETT, its an RB20DET, while the GT-R is an RB26DETT

I have to agree with that. Not too long ago, a tuning shop just hit over 600whp on a G35 with bunch of stuff on it. I have a feeling that it’s only the beginning. We may be seeing a much higher numbers than that. Although I doubt it’ll have as much potential as 1000hp RB26’s, but close though especially for a engine that’s originally NA form.

The swap can be done easily. I would take the RB26DETT, tranny and entire drive train (AWD) and put in the 350Z. The custom fabrication required takes considerable skill to do properly and should only be done by companies that specialize in the process.

The VQ has amazing potential. I’d say build that with the money an RB and custom fab would cost and you will have one serious beast.