3rd gen camaro or 99 LS1??

I am selling my mustang and getting a truck/suv and I will have about anywhere from 3k to 4k to get another car for a project car. I found a 3rd gen camaro with t-tops and 305 for $2500 and i was going to buy it and swap in a LS1. Or i was thinking about getting the pewter hardtop ls1 over at jjs(if he still has it). What would be better? buying the 3rd gen and swapping motors or buying the 99ls1 and fixing it?

99 and fixing it!!!

3rd gens do look bad ass, its gonna be a rough decision, just make sure you stay w/ the ls1 though

hahaha

oh i didnt read ud swap a ls1 in it, third gens have a nice look to em, swap it, be a lil different haha

who the hell did you get to buy your 95 GT for $8500?!?!?!?!

3rd gen :cool: with an ls1 swap,it do u have the $$ to do it?
if not the 99 z28 here

i’d rather just have the 99. they look way better just make sure yoou have 17s and an SS hood and youre good to go.

I say it is up to what you think looks better. I am not sure about the 3rd gens, but the 4th gens have a ton of aftermarket stuff available

Yea i am doing a ls1 swap in no matter what. I didnt get my mustang sold yet, and the price dropped to 7k and got some ppl looking at it. I dont know yet what to do. Anyone have any sites with all the stuff i would have by minus the motor and tranny?

there alot more to the 4th gen than just the ls1 though…the 3rd gens have horrible 80s lookin interior (that would bother me). also, the new ones handle like 19856 times better. plus itll hold its value more. just a few things to think about. you could probly deal with brian and have that '99 fixed up in no timeand be done with it and have a cooler car (in my opinion) than a 3rd w/ ls1 swap. but as justin said, it is kinda cool to have something differrent, but i’d still take the '99 just cause its a better overall car.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

:cool: page

i am pushiing towards the 99 over at jjs, but still considering the 3rd gen because of the t-tops and the uniqueness of having a 3rd gen with an ls1. Anyone do this swap yet?

3rd gen all the way

yes,did one,its not bad!

I have hours and hours of experience on road race courses in both in stock form and I disagree with this.

To me the ultimate car (yeah, the 3rd gen interior does suck) is a 3rd gen LS1. I hope to own one myself someday.

Here is one with a list of the stuff needed.

http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/91ls1page1/

the new ones handle like 19856 times better

agreed! now i havent been in a SS or WS6…but the IROCZ’s are known for handling. mine with shocks/springs and rest of the suspension scares me…and its still on 16x8 wheels and 245 tires!! haha

now you know what i’m gonna say. i’d go Ls1 Thirdgen since i think they are bad ass cars…when done right. the interiors are nice in my eyes…if you do it right. all depends on the color combination. you can swap in 4th gen interiors from seats to dash if you’d like. i dont really like 4th gen camaro interiors tho…i DO however like the black/tan trans am interiors…my favorite combo. i’m gonna redo my interior someday and it will look great i promise you.
i love the way the thirdgen dash is… its kinda plain but looks good. very little clutter. not oldschool but not modern. plus no airbags which look gay…if you get pre 91 i think.

the only thing is a LS1 swap in a thirdgen isnt all that cheap. they do make alot of conversion parts but the run a price…and the headers will be a problem. Hawks has ls1 swap headers but A, they dont fit all that well…atleast the ypipe dont, and B, they expensive as all hell. l like over a grand!! not worth it. not sure what else u can run tho

thousands have done the swap tho…it all over thirdgen.org. but theres alot of smal things you have to do to get it to run well. small parts nickel and dime you. upgrade the fuel pump/lines and cooling system while ur at it.

i definately want a LSx motor in my car. thirdgens with a stock ls1 T56 combo are mid high 12’s as they are lighter than 4th gens by alittle. atleast some of the lower optioned cars are.

well i know they arent all that different of a platform, but a '99 z28 will be a stiffer setup and also has wider rims/tires, so how can it not handle better? plus arent the 4th gens alittle wider, so that would probly add to stability? and then when you figure in the aftermarket, i’d take a 4th gen over a 3rd gen in a second. ive driven a few 3rd gen (though not on a track) and i never though it felt better than any 4th gen ive driven (maybe its because they were only SS’s and WS6s, i dunno)