Hot Rod goes 12.9 @ 112.9 in the New Camaro

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0903w_2010_chevrolet_camaro_test_drive/index.html

This was done at GM’s proving grounds, NOT on an actual drag strip. On a strip with good prep it should be a little quicker. This was on stock 20"s too. Once somebody gets DRs and a good tune on one I bet it’s a solid mid 12 car with stock intake and exhaust. Full bolt-on I bet they go low 12s.

-TJ

PS- yes, yes that’s about the same as 4th Gens. Whoopdeedoo.

actually that’s faster than stock 4th gens…

only the “factory freaks” 4th gens went high 12’s.

it’s nice to see some real numbers finally

yea, another GM with a great motor but shitty everything else. When will they get it that the customer wants the whole package and not just a nice motor. fail

A LOT of guys I know went 12 w/ full stock 4th gens. A good buddy went 12.66 and backed it up w/ a 12.70 in a bone stock (tires, paper filter, etc) WS6. I think a few magazines did though… but perhaps not Hot Rod, and certainly not on an entirely un-prepped proving grounds vs. a well prepped strip. LS1 Fbodies dynoed 290 ('98-00 A4s) to as high as 320 ('01-02 M6) with a few freak 330s claimed. Thus far 5th gens are proving to be in the high 360s consistently (I’ve really only seen M6 dynos). And nobody really had 3k+ miles on them. LS1s opened up a bit past 3-5k miles, and LS3 'vettes have proven to so I expect we’ll see a few mid-370s once somebody actually leaves a 5th Gen stock past 3-5k. But 4th Gens ran mid-3300lbs (1LE Z28s) to mid-3600lbs (fully optioned WS6s) whereas 5th Gen SSs are mid 3800lbs. The 20"s certainly aren’t helping either, though I don’t know how decent the tires are. ALL stock 4th Gen tires sucked balls, even the GY F1s on the SS/WS6s.

I don’t know about that… they got a lot right if you believe what’s out there to read. Of course, I won’t believe it 'til I drive it (hard) myself. But it supposedly rides nice and quiet, handles well (better than stock 4th Gens), has good fit/finish, and has an overall refined feel. If only the interior didn’t bug me… but even that I need to give a chance in person.

-TJ

man so all the 4th gens are going 12s stock now?

I saw a stock lt1 camaro go 10’s.

Does that mean all lt1 fbuckets go 10’s stock?

man, wtf… why did i switch to a gen iii?

Who said that? I said I know a LOT that have, but not ALL (mine didn’t :doh: ).

BTW, my very FIRST post said “that’s about the same as 4th Gens.” I didn’t say exactly the same. I don’t think any of the first batch of '98 LS1s delivered to magazines went 12s at all. As I said before, in the hands of a real drag-strip hero, with a well prepped track, and with a few thousand miles to break in I think we’ll see a bit better than that 12.9.

The point of the post was to counter all the comments about 5th Gens only going mid-13s.

-TJ

Do you have anything to counter all of the comments about you being a fudgepacking California yuppie Silicon valley polesmoker?

no because you cant counter the truth… he was countering the false comments by other pittspeed members

great…another thread about the new camaro

fucking magazine racer…still a bardge that can’t get out if it’s own way…I mean 12’s bone stock is a joke.

For real though that is sweet…very impresive considering how much it weighs. I heard some of the G8 GXP’s were dipping into 12’s so I would imagine the Camaro would be a few ticks faster.

Thats cool to see

you’re rich. go buy one. problem solved.

truth… not a real (average) person, not a real drag strip and in 34 degree weather :hsugh: :booty:

Naturally, we didn’t have an actual drag strip at our disposal, so these numbers were obtained with a VBox GPS-based data-acquisition unit with 12 inches of rollout programmed into the software to simulate the staging zone on a real strip. (A drag strips’s timing system gives a car about a one-foot head start. Without the rollout the e.t. is 13.24 seconds.)

congrats… i’m glad a newly hyped muscle car re-release can compare to previous models and is living up to it’s name. :smiley:

Seriously, and why wasn’t this added to the numerous other threads? :cookie:

:zzz:

Like I said the G8 GXP is getting into the 12’s…I am sure this summer you will a lot of 12 second passes bone stock Camaros.

I seriously think every time you see a thread about an American car you massage your mangina and type you lame response.

oh oh oh… I can’t wait!!!

redline motor sports has hit 13.01, factory stock. at a real drag strip. said the car is kinda of a bitch to launch, and car spins 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

they need to find a set of 18’s to fit over the brakes and it would be alot better. its BS that they need 20’s the GM 18’s wont but im hopin someone coames out with an 18 that will. or just shave some off the calipers like the ls1’s do to get small wheels on the back.

x2, watch it be like the vettes and have to run bogarts and pay 2034984890 dollars for a wheel