400 sbc ?'s

406 great motor, heard bad things from detation and other internal problems that the design cant handle, had a few buddies with 400’s they had overheating issue, wonder if the colling ducts are different, I think safer HP would be a 383 stroker for the money(if youwant to stick with GEN 1) vs building up a 400. Wherent they used a toe truck motors.

you can make a 350 into a 401…and a 395/396. i think those are best for cubes if you want that much. problem is its alot of stroke and little bore. i think its better to have more bore than stroke but i guess it dont matter

how do you go about doing this? I dont recall ever hearing about it…

if talking stroker small block wouldn’t it just be cheaper to build big block??
my original idea for mine was 383. but once i priced ;it out it was cheaper to biuld big block. just a thought

395 is a 4.030 bore…which is a 350 bored 30 over. combined with a 3.875 stroke. it can be clearanced and does work. they have a lot of LT1 396 kits

401 is just 60 over 350 with same stroke

x2

big block heads and rotating kits are more money. heads are near 1000 more. i think you could build a nice stroker 383 for less…but i’d have to price it out.

the extra weight of the big block kinda kills tho

room & bb suck!:blue:

bigger is better…however the 377 destroker is a completly different animal than a 383 or 400 or any stroked 400.

bb are for towing

:bigok:

beleive it or not it it is easier to work on big block in my elcamino than small block
the headers fall right out instead of fighting them a little. the angle of the heads allow for easier access.

one question is what kind of vehicle is this going in?
and what do you plan on doing with it

they bought my old 400 blocks, so the blocks they already have.

the one block was 30 over and put in a late 90’s s10 and the other is being put in my camaro. the s10 blew out its rear end and the camaro is only driven once in a while . so nothing fancy just a basic rebuild with an edlebrock intake and carb maybe a set of headers.

weight difference in cast no ALUM parts, I think the sbc 350-400 is like 689, BBC 396-502 was like 803 avg.

i ahve a 8 1/2 ring rear for that s-10

Funny that no one ever mentioned staying away from 400/4 bolt main SBC. Not a good setup at all. There is not enough meat around the main bearings to keep it together at higher RPMs. Two bolt FTW.

400 SBC’s are great motors. I loved mine & NEVER had cooling problems with it. Put alot of abusive miles on it, too. It was in a G-body with a T5 5 speed & 9 inch ford rear with 3.89s in it. That car was a blast.

Right you are…:bowrofl:

:bluez28:

Wrong the s10 popped the tranny.

What does FTW mean???

For The Win