5.1 System Noise

does it relate to the dvd drive accessing.

i can hear my dvd drive access on my pc speakers :slight_smile:

All of the cutting out and popping sounds aside, how do you like the setup? How’s the sound?

When it’s not making random noises, I like it a lot. I’m not an audiophile, but I’m also not the type that can turn a deaf ear to static, hence the thread. It’s driving me effing nuts.

But that 95% when it’s working properly I have no complaints. Nice and clear and rich. There’s a 3" woofer cone in each satellite so it has a nice full sound, not like separate highs and lows. To that end, the bass isn’t house shaking but 1 - I haven’t tried playing anything real deep and 2 - It’s a sub $200 dollar system. :shrug:

So yeah, works great and nice and clear 95% of the time. If I can clear up the intermittent hiccups I’ll be very happy with it.

Yeah, tough to beat the price.

I picked up some 2 conductor shielded cable from Radio Equipment for $30 bucks. I’ll replace all my speaker wire and ground 1 end of all the shields sometime this weekend and report back. Because people care.

:uhh:

i wasnt really suggesting that as an idea, just seeing thats what you’re talking about, which obviously it isnt

Well maybe you weren’t suggesting it, but what you said gave me an idea. By turning off the inputs I can tell if the problem is between the TV and the amp or amp to the speakers.

Anyhow, this weekend I took all the speakers apart, de-soldered the existing wires from them and soldered up shielded 18 awg 2 conductor cable, then tied all the shields together and grounded them. :picard: Also pulled the speaker wires out of the cable tray. It all helped. There’s less noise now but I’ll still get some fluttering from a speaker here and there. Although I also just thought of the RCA audio cable from the TV… Unshielded analog signal still next to the power wires. I need to move that one too.

There definitely seems to be a heat problem. The fan that Philips included doesn’t hardly blow anything, and then my wife set up her dickens village for Christmas which included basically insulating the DVD player with styrofoam. The speakers started popping until I pulled the foam back so there was some airflow behind the DVD player.

So I’ll upgrade the fan and that should clean the rest of it up.

Fun stuff…

:hang:

WOW I thought that stuff they give you with the speakers was dental floss… not speaker wire :wink: