5.3 displacement on demand issues in my 2011 silverado

I have a 2011 Silverado that has had accelerated oil consumption for about the past year (common issue).

Today I was driving and got the misfire/service stabilitrac / service traction lights. Generally, this is what happens when one of the DOD lifters fail.

I got it home, checked it with the code reader, and had a code for misfire in cylinder #1 .

I pulled the #1 plug and it looked terrible. I did a compression test and got 120psi on my POS compression gauge that probably is not accurate.

I pulled the #3 plug and it looked great. I did a compression test on this cylinder and got ~145PSI with my POS compression gauge that is probably not accurate.

I put a new plug in cylinder #1 and all issues have went away.

So, it is quite clear that I didn’t have a lifter fail, since the plug solved my issue. However, it does appear that I have something significant going on in cylinder #1 .

What should I do? Run it to a dealership for a trade in? Keep running it (It’s paid off and cost me nothing, but I do need reliable transportation)? Should I take it in for repair (this is probably not really an option for me).

I will say that this is probably my last GM with DOD. Too many horror stories.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37220[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37221[/ATTACH]

Damage might be done. But if your keeping it spend a couple dollars to have AFM turned off! I haven’t run it on my 2016 since mile #200 . I don’t plan on fucking my lifters by oil starvation. My buddies 6.2 2015 went to the dealer at 30,000 miles for a lifter.

I have HPtuners. I plan on doing that, but like you said, damage is done.

I’m just trying to decide if I should dump this thing off tomorrow on something newer, or run it until it really dies (which may be never…)

Why not take a home minute to pull the heads, toss in some ls7 lifters a 03 zo6 cam and call it a day? Thing will go 250+k miles

Mehhh, don’t wanna get a tune. Maybe I’ll just get the DOD delete and pop ls7 lifters in. I really need to get a second daily driver so I can afford this thing being down.

What do you mean you don’t wanna tune? You’d have to tune it with a DOD delete. The z06 cam isn’t that different, you could probably leave the tune alone and let the ltft & stft take care of the difference.

What would your next vehicle be? My sisters 2014 Silverado burns oil, and she’s a girl so she never checks it, she was notified it was low on oil when she went in for an oil change and now she checks it and adds oil. I think it had less than 30k miles. This was over a year ago when it was noticed.

I think when the time comes mayve I’d do a Ram 1500 with a hemi not sure if they’re better or not.

Just delete it. My g8 had a bad DOD lifter at 30k miles.

I had a 13 that burned oil also. Must be a common thing with these.

Going to a cell and setting DOD to ‘off’ is a lot different than re-configuring the fueling tables; I didn’t think it would correct for the zo6 cam stock. Meh, maybe I’ll go that route. That said, it won’t help my oil consumption issues, since I’m pretty sure it’s ring related.

Don’t know what my next vehicle would be. I like the rams, I don’t like transmission issues. I’d probably get another lower mile GM and disable the DOD via HPtuners from day one, and hope for the best on the stock lifters.