5 lug conversion, S13 front suspension question...

Hey guys,

I might be getting an S13 soon, so I’m researching about the 5 lug conversion.

The main question comes down to this:

After the 5 lug conversion, how can I still use the S13 syspension components up front? I am asking because the S14 front spindle mounts differently to the front struts than the S13 front spindle.

The S14 front bolts are bigger and will require that the S13 front strut mounting holes to be enlarged. Is this correct?

Thanks for shedding any light on this.

Sport compact car actually did a pretty good write up on this for their project Silvia, check it out here…

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0211scc_projsilvia/index.html

Here is another good Link for ya
http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/january03/240sx/

Cool. thanks guys!!! :slight_smile:

I don’t know if this will help much.

http://forums.son240sx.ca/viewtopic.php?t=2290

AFAIK only me and the PASMag car are running the 5 lug swap in ONT. You use the S13 suspension and the S14 bolt’s. Enlarge the holes as neatly as possible. I used the entire S14 upright and needed to switch to the S14 front ball joint.

…just to add to that, as it mentions in the SCC article, you must use S14 ball joints. Even though the S13 ball joints look the same, theyre not, and if you use them they could fail while youre on the road.

Cool… thanks man!

I have all those parts, but do you know if I have to enlarge the holes on the S13 struts to fit the S14 strut mount bolts through it?

Hey man what’s up.

Try this site www.raretrick.com they sell 5 lug hubs that replace the stock ones. You don’t have to change anything. Pull the 4 lugs out and pop in the 5 lugs. That way you don’t have to worry about what suspension to use because everything remains the same except for the lugs.

Well check the site before you make up your mind and good luck.

Easy 8)

I wouldn’t recommend buying anything from Rare Trick. Around the middle of January, I ordered a Kazama Tension rod brace. I paid using my credit card. It is now April and I still haven’t recieved the part.

I think you can get the aftermarket 5 lug hubs from Phase 2 Motortrend or you could try emailing the guys at Japan Parts.

Hey man. Well that sucks big time. You should phone them up and email them about this. I’d do it like every day. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. :lol: . Seroiusly though, bug them untill they send you your order.

However your the only one I’v known that this has happen to. Two of my friends ordered from them and had no problem. It is possible they may have lost your order. I highly doubt that they would stay in business ripping people off.

You can always go through my buddies JDM store as well if want the whole 5 lug conversion. The 300 zx and R33 front brakes will fit and he can get them in about two weeks. Just look at my post “A new JDM parts store” in Car Chat for all the info.

Have a good one. Easy 8)

Sorry I wasn’t more specific in my post John. The four lower mounting holes on each of the front struts must be enlarged to accept the larger S14 bolts. Don’t use the smaller S13 bolts.

does this mean you aren’t going to sell your lower control arms? a reply would be appreciated.

thanks

The NPM article uses Japanese bolt-on 5-lug hubs.

Another source for the hubs is http://www.tougefactory.com, but last time I checked they said the manufacturer was backordered until mid-May.

-10d

when you do this 5 lug conversions is it just the front wheels or all 4? sorry noob question.

Would you want to have a 5lug pair of rims up front and a 4lug pair of rims in the back? It would make buying rims a little more difficult.

Do not order from TougeFactory Bing almost had a wheel fall off while driving because of their low quality parts. Read his post and you will see.

http://forums.son240sx.ca/viewtopic.php?t=4980

Would you want to have a 5lug pair of rims up front and a 4lug pair of rims in the back? It would make buying rims a little more difficult.[/quote]

Depends on what you can find and what you have at hand. 8) I know some guys that run irregular offsets (e.g,. 16x7 +30 and 16x7 +35 in the rear) for whatever reason. You use what you’re given.

Plus, if you have a staggered setup then it wouldn’t really matter. You may only be able to find the offset you need in 5-lug for the rear, which is cheaper in the long run as the Z32 hub is easier to find than the S14 front.

I would presume that it is a little more difficult to find the same four rims (design, offset, size) having 5-lug up front and 4 in the back.

I believe Adam did it on his car too.

Would you want to have a 5lug pair of rims up front and a 4lug pair of rims in the back? It would make buying rims a little more difficult.[/quote]

Depends on what you can find and what you have at hand. 8) I know some guys that run irregular offsets (e.g,. 16x7 +30 and 16x7 +35 in the rear) for whatever reason. You use what you’re given.

Plus, if you have a staggered setup then it wouldn’t really matter. You may only be able to find the offset you need in 5-lug for the rear, which is cheaper in the long run as the Z32 hub is easier to find than the S14 front.[/quote]

wtf does that have to do with 5 and 4 lug hubs? I can see somewhat what you mean, but Marc’s comment was about lugs, not staggered offsets. :roll: