700r4 Builders

I’ve had several sources tell me that the power limit on a build 700R4 is 600hp, no matter how heavy duty it is built, the 700R4 can’t handle anymore than that.

However, I have seen a couple, only a couple, people running 600-750hp on custom built 700R4s.

Now what performance builders are out there with packages for a 700R4.

I will need a rebuild here soon, I am by no means in the 600hp range. So a race tranny is not neccessary.

Looking for a nice street/strip package.

First name that comes to mind is Rossler, but i checked their site, and it doesnt list a 700R4 package.

Any other reasonably priced tranny builders out there?? I am sure there are a bunch.

There is a guy on the SyTy board with a package for $2000 that can handle about 500hp.

jwaller or george blake, why look anywhere else? Chances are if you find someone else they prob never heard of a syty and your trans will last a month before it blows up. OR just do a mild 80e build and that will pretty much last forever.

trying to see what else is out there besides those guys.

this is easy…go with pro-built automatics. http://www.700r4l60e.com/
Dana will hook you up with a GREAT kit that will handle some power.

but i dont know how different internally the SyTy 700’s are than the vette/fbodies. but they do make a kit for trucks anyway

But I took mine trans to World Class trannies on Rt 66 next to Rt22/Rt66 cloverleaf crossing. I told him i needed to handle 450hp or so and he gave me a nice rebuild for 1000 bucks. held up great ever since. that included a shift kit.

im taking mine to hodges transmission in connellsville . for around 1100 that will include a shift kit and stall converter and setting the tv cable properly.

hodges transmission in connellsville

x2

Aeroking I can build you a very good unit that will hold up under lots of boost. the SY/Ty units have a valve body/plate /gov combo that must stay with your SY ,have seen a lot of guys have lots of problems after a build due to the wrong combo .PM me if you need some info and a price to build you a killer unit with a warranty . Boostjunkie

can’t you just buy a new 700r4 that will handle the power you need? :dunno:

:bigthumb: exactly what i wanted to hear.

If you decide to rebuild the transmission and stay with a 700R4 get the kit from Jwaller. I had the Typhoon’s transmission rebuilt 5 times before I got his kit. It is still holding up well for Patrick even after I sold it. I had a local friend install all the parts Jwaller supplied, to jwallers specifications. The syty valve body is the way to keep, most people that know syty’s do very limited modifications to this. What some guys do to RWD vehicles 700’s will not necessarily hold up in a syty application.

yea, I’ll get a quote from Waller on his kit. I know Blake charges $1500 for his kit, or $2000 for him to do the rebuild ( plus the cost of a usuable core)

I’ll check with Waller.

whats the big deal with syty’s?? Some arent making that much power so a typical 700r4 build you would think would work fine. I know plenty of ppl running rwd 700r4’s with power up in the 350-500 whp range. is it because of AWD?

x2

The first page on a google search has this https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/product.php?productid=10&cat=20&page=1

and it’s cheaper than a rebuild. I may be missing something about the AWD though. :dunno:

well power wise, i’ve heard of stock trucks on a dyno running 200hp and 420-430trq at the wheels.

with a few bolt-ons your close to 500trq at the wheels. so brake torquing the tranny at the line pretty much kills it.

edited: this thread isnt to prove anything. Its just that I know of about 3 rebuilt kits that have held up in other SyTys. I was wondering if any knew any local “experts” in 700R4’s. I have heard alot of horror stories about SyTy trannies going to a “performance” shop to be rebuilt, and the mechanic saying “yeah this thing will hold 900hp” but when they run it in they’re 300hp truck, it blows a week later. The big names like TCI and B&M dont hold up, its the custom builder’s trannies that hold up. And they’ll be the first to tell you, “in a SyTy, the BEST built 700R4 can only handle about 600hp, TOPS” so, I am leary when it comes to the rebuild. The Syclone down at the Stadium drags (10.2 truck) a few years back, had a Rossler custom built 700R4, Big Bucks. More than 3 runs in an hour, and you overheat it and its junk.

well thats interesting. i know they make massive torque but i’ve seen alot of guys running big torque through V8 motors too and they seem to hold up just fine. Just get a temp gauge to keep an eye on it and tranny cooler is a necessity.

200r4’s are supposively weaker than the 700r4, but look how many FAST GN’s have those trannies and are making big numbers