Chevy guys: Question

my friend down here has a 87 Monte Carlo SS with the shit ass 305. He also has a 64 skylark with a built up ~450hp 350. Since the body is really bad on the Skylark, he wants to yank the 350 and drop it in the Monte.

Now heres the questions:

How well will the factory posi in the Monte hold up with all that hp?

How well will the factory 4speed auto in the Monte deal with 450hp? He has a turbo 350 hooked up to the 350 now, but he’d like to keep the 4 speed tranny in the Monte as it will be his daily driver. Is this feasable? Can the factory Monte Carlo tranny be beefed up in any way to handle more power?

thx.

should be ok on the rear,the trans is a 200r4 which is poooooooop

get a good built 700r4

200r4’s can be built to hold more power and can work with that 350, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Now I’m sure some of the monte guys are going to come on here and pub the 200r’s a good trannie, but realistically a post 1988 700r4 rebuilt is better. I would much rather go with the 700 like Pewter said. If he wants to look at newer trans, check our www.700r4.com. they have ALL the info needed about 700’s

As for the rear, it’s really all going to depend on whether or not hes going to beat on it. I have buddys with 450hp s10’s that have destroyed their 7 5/8’s rear, and some that have been running them for years with no problems. It just depends on how he’s going to drive it.

That 7.5 10-bolt is not going to cut it if he’s beating on it thats for sure. Tell him to get the TH-350 trans.

I agree, the rear will hold but it depends on how hard you beat on it. I’m sure it’ll start to one-leg after a while no prob.

thanks for the responses. I’ll pass all this info along. :bowdown:

you guys forgot to say its BOP motor if it s in a buick. and a monte is a chevy motor. bell housings are different. mounts are different, headers are different and etc. can be done but would be better off getting a chevy 350 instead of using the buick in a chevy chassis

the trans is a 200r4 which is poooooooop

they can be built up and have slightly tighter gear ratios in the 1-2 shift than the 700r4. that might help some by keepin rpms up on the shift but i dont have any times to prove it LOL

the rear should be fine for alittle while if not beat on with slicks. get a fresh posi in there and it will be good to go

i got my 700r4 built at World Class Transmissions in delmont, off of 66 near the 66/rt 22 cross. he did a nice job… built to handle 450hp/tq or so for 1000 bucks installed

for a torque converter, look into a lock up unit to save some mileage while cruising. i got an Edge Racing converter… 2800 stall and i like it alot

I’m not sure what the 350 is originally out of, but I know it didnt come out of the Skylark

i thought some 200r4’s could bolt to pontiac/olds motors as well. they suck ass anyway. i blew mine up 2wice in my 86 monte ss with a stock 305 with an cam/intake. the rear ends are ok though. get a gn/442 8.5 rear. i heard there a nice upgrade

:cool:

I’ll pass the info along.