Might be crazy but I want to do it!

Ok guys let me first state this has NEVER been done before and I am hopeing to get it done (with some shop help :wink: ) but I would like to see if it is first possible.

What I plan on doing is taking my 1992 acura legend (fwd v6 automatic) and converting it to 350 with auto trans and RWD.

Some of you might laugh but I think I have it figured out to a point.

Since the way the engine mounts is ā€˜setupā€™ for rwd changing motors should be easiest part of this project. Then with the tranny behind it just put a shifter right where it normally would be (suprisingly its damn close to were I think it would mount with a 350/auto trans). So that would be the easiest part. (getting a 350 and 350 turbo trannys for free)

I was thinking of running a carbā€™d v8 for it being more simple to swap being my car is more electronical, and a carbā€™d v8 would eliminate the computers to a high degree. And if by chance I would need a big factor of my stock ecu for the tranny I would convert it to manual as well.

For driveshaft it would be as easy as calling a company and having a custom aluminum or carbon fiber driveshaft made (estimated 1-1.5k)

Now the hard part, rwd and shock setup. I was thinking on running the rear end from a car similar in size to mine. I was thinking around 95 mustang coupe rear end I believe it can be very close to mine (never looked into numbers) but seems close in size. But my real problem is shocks/suspension in the rear. I dont know where or how to begin with this I donā€™t know if I can find a rear end that excepts my style shocks.

If any shop locally would like to participate in this or wants to donate to the project fund by all means let me know :slight_smile: I would love to get this done for sure it would be a one off creation. Just need to get it built on paper before I start hacking my car up.

Any help would be great. No I donā€™t want to buy a v8 car and just be done with it. The reasons I want it in my car is for total sleeper effect minus the big blower sticking out of the hood :mullet:

better have a big wallet

You really think it will be that much? I canā€™t see it being over 5k? I donā€™t know how much rear ends go for but since I have a free engine and tranny I figure 5k should be more then enough.

Mind you I want to just use stock parts from other cars to first see if it can happen IE not getting a modded out rear end, just getting a stocker in there and see if it works.

just b/c you can, doesnā€™t mean you should.

true but at the same time donā€™t people like to see different things? Not like Iā€™m turning my car into a ā€œdonkā€ or anything bad. Just turning a slow car into something faster :slight_smile:

Buy a sleeper that is already RWDā€¦ Def doesnā€™t sound like a $5k project.

going to be pricey

Quoted for truth.

your going to have to create a trans tunnel for the trans and driveshaft

If you do all the work yourself (or entice friends with beer), and have a good 350/350, and already have a welder, gas, etc. then MAYBE you can get this in for 5000 or less, getting lucky on finding the rest of the parts.

That was the first thing I thought of too. As your car currently sits there is NO room for the transmission to wedge in there. Your going to have to cut half the firewall and probably hack up alot of the shit under the dash on on the center counsel just to make room. Front and rear your suspension is going to be a issue. Your gonna mess the weight over the nose depending on your engine choice, so thats going to sit either higher or lower. The rear end might be just like the firewall. Iā€™m sure they never left enough room back there to allow a diff and rear axle to go in without some major cutting.

If you really have 5000 to blow, take it to hybrid they can probably make it faster for cheaper.

figure your budget and double it. typical rule of thumb on projects.

isnā€™t that the truth :redface:

your undershooting

just curious you guys that talk about tranny fitting and cutting the firewall. have you ever seen a legends engine bay? not trying to come off cocky but the way its mounted its more then ennought room to fit. only thing that might make a difference is headers but thats just some welding.

I do see one issue would be running the driveshaft it will mostlikely be a 2 or 3 piece for it to work.

the rear would be good as long as i can mount the rear axle to mine somehow.

My generation legend was supposed to be rwd but honda cut funding. so if you look at the engine it looks like it HAS to be rwd but its not.

this link gives alot of pics of the engine http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-legend-LS-SHARP-BOSE-HEATED-SEATS-RUNS-NEW-93-94_W0QQitemZ300131929949QQihZ020QQcategoryZ5336QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but heres some more pics underneath the car
http://www.kotetu.net/Legend/y2.jpg
http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=965&stc=1&d=1140483745
with those pics you can see i would use the exhaust tunnel for driveshaft and make the car have sidepipes if it couldnt put them out the rear. the thing that stops it would be gas tank, so fuel cell in the trunk. just gotta figure out the rear end and suspension.

the 350/350 combo i got is brand new a guy rebuilt it for his car but after telling him about it he said he would donate it just to be apart of this build ect ect. i just gotta get him some credit and he said it would be worth it for him.

so theres only one shop around her crazy enough to attempt it? hybrid?

ps its almost impossible to make my car faster without spending about 8k just to maybe get a turbo kit on the car and if im doing all that i want torque

you greek people.

did i say double your budget? i meant triple

ok you say triple, why? where do YOU think the problems will be? having the engine fit should be a drop in just have to make some solid mounts.

good luck cause you are going to need it