Might be crazy but I want to do it!

he is just saying for the rule of thumb, not for this particular project…

like ok you get it in a stock 350…its still not going to be fast… then you add a blower then bam you need a new tranny, then your rear end lets to…then you rebuild that and it twisted the car in 1/2 shit adds up quick

like me I have 1992 150,000 mile $12000 dollar civic When i started the game it was 17.9 (est) then 14.00 then 11.8 then 10.7 and this year it hasent ran yet but back when it was even 14.0 i never thought i would have so much time and money dumped into the project

I.E.
you get it in With just metal to reinforce the frame 4 link in rear $1000 give or take

motor & tranny do you have one, if so your good.
Time & Resource this is the biggest part I value my time to work on my car and for a project this big at least a 60-80+ plus hours

the channel, This car is a unibody (i am sure u know this) but everypart of that helps hold it together. and when you start chopping…and putting a rear end it it…you going to need some type a cage for structure

I am not dogging you project or anything. go for it, it will be sweet when its done, just make sure you have the time and resouces to finish the project i know alot of projects like these that the builders loose intrest…

well reason I said 350 is because to me the 350 is like the civic of the domestic world. at first I would keep it stock engine ect till all the things get figured out. then I can start modding it ect.

believe me a stock 350 will be faster then my car is now :stuck_out_tongue: I can just hit like 14-14.2’s in my car.

time- well I dont have much of it but I was seeing if some shops wanted to help out on their offtime, ect. I know my stereo alone has 50+ hours in it. So I mean I have the drive. Plus this is a first in the world so its gonna be cool.

I really dont think the cage would be needed.the channel is factory for exhaust which is not needed. then removing fuel tank and making it a fuel cell wont affect structure. i do see wat ur saying I just want some other heads to join me under the car on a lift and see if it is even possible. i mean I don’t know sizes of rear ends so I don’t know were to start on that part. I was thinking JJ’s might because they are the ‘big’ local domestic place.

But my first goal is 350/350 > driveshaft (pst or whoever) > rear end (oem from another car) and then mounting it. I mean in my head it seems simple but most projects all seem simple in someones head.

someone put a ls1 in a civic. They posted links on here, there where a ton of pics I forget who posted it (slowextreme maybe)

It was basicly back halfed though its what you prob would have to do unless you want to jack the rear of the car up 7’

^^ that thing also if I remembered right the guy had hundreds of hours into it and thousands of past previous fabricating hours into it. But it was half pushed through the dash… it was a deah trap waiting to happen.

once drivetrain is installed what about exhaust? since carb it will stick through hood in stock form. therefore will be modifying the hood to make it clear the carb. which i can see taking a lot of time in itself. distributor? will it hit firewall? what about cooling? how about the front suspension? can’t have open wheel bearing since they cannot support the weight without axles in. with a unibody front wheel drive where you going to put the trans crossmember if no cage? or sturdy frame structure.

now if it were me i would be cutting almost the whole floor out of car. what about the dash instruments and wiring harness since the original will not work now.
not to scare you but you have to be realistic.

Someone has been watching reruns of the A Team…

Got it
http://www.pittspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?p=579746#post579746

Yea go click the link in that post to that dude’s build first, I doubt yours would be much different. Thats basically what your up against.

yeah… thats a good one … 2.5 maybe because little bugs down the road… thats how it is

exhaust would be side pipes if i must if not just run them down the sides there is room. carb through the hood is wat i want. I wont make a cowl I want to see it popping through the hood. i doubt the distributor will hit the firewall if the engine is put forward enough. figure slim line fans and a upgraded rad would give me the space, but as it stands now i have 11 inchs between the crank pulley n fan shrouds. believe it or not my trans has a crossmember stock. as for wheel bearings i have no idea see this is the point of this thread to figure shit out that i forgot about :stuck_out_tongue: but believe me this car is very sturdy frame structure hell it weights over 2 ton with a driver.

as for harnesses i would be eliminating the use for a ecu as much as possible. gauges i wouldnt use factory I would make a dash and house new gauges just like anyone else that does a insane swap.

but i was doing a little looking tonight I CAN definately fit a big pumpkin in the rear with little modification to the car.

keep the thoughts coming lets see what else i might be forgetting

putting a v8 in a civic is just wrong in the first place my legends v6 is a very big 6. hell look at the way it looks and then look at the ls1 even same style intake manifold just 2 extra ports. but being it would be carb I want it sticking through the hood.

if you were going to go through all that trouble why in God’s name would you put a chevy 350 in… if i walked past a creation of such i would be like “wow someone really did all that work to put a chevy 350 in” chevy 350 might be the most boring thing in the world of cars. people have put that damn motor in everything know to man, including, boats, motorcycles, chainsaws… you name it, it had a chevy 350 attached to it. put a typhoon/cyclone motor in and make it AWD and that would be inpressive.

cutty- yea i could do that, if you make it possible for me to get a typhoon motor and awd ect for free ill do it :slight_smile: not really tho im not a fan of those.

but i picked 350 hell im willing to go even 327 or smaller incase a 350 is to big then later on bore it ect to make it higher displacement.

either way a stock 350 will put down more then my car ever could i bet.

see i just lost faith in ur knowledge… small block are the same dimensions externally…
so puttin a 327 in is the same as puttin a 350 in. its just smaller inside. 305-350-400 all the same outter dimensions. so in theory if a 350 fits, you could bore and stroke a 400 and have serious displacement in there.

just from ur comment i think u may lack the knowledge to bring this project to the light of day.

and your right I personally know very little about engine sizes ect. But what I do know how is to make things and make them faster.

thats why I was looking for some help on this board to see what im forgetting ect. I mean after all I’m 20 I’ve never done anything this big. Only reason I thought of changing the engine to a smaller one I thought the sizes were different. Because when I was helping my dad build his street rod a 390 didnt fit only a 327. So like I said im new to domestics. I just think this would be a awesome thing when its done.

Honestly picture pulling up to a light, seeing a grandpa mobile with 20’s, tint ect and thinking “stupid kids ill race and beat him” then as you see a massive intake sticking out of the hood you go “WTF” I gotta talk to this guy.

Its just a project like that. I mean I have 2 of these cars ones my baby other is for parts and has a salvage title so why not see if its possible before I junk it.

sleepers are over rated. how often do this situations happen on the street… not often. so you crush someone one time and word gets around… pittsburgh is the smallest big city, its hard to keep secrets. to start off in domestic carbed v8’s and be doing a major conversion isn’t a great idea. try buying a carbed v8 wth rwd to get ur feet wet. they can be had relatively cheap.

yea but whats the point then? i mean no offense to people on here but then I would just be a person with a v8 rwd nothing special about it. I could but a stang then it would be just like everyone elses. This would be completely a one off something no one has ever done or thought of for this car. Only one other person is attempting it but putting a ls7 ( i think that was it ) in it but he says it wont be done for years.

Seriously, this is rediculous and needs to stop. You can dream all you want about your small block powered legend, but if you don’t have at least $5000 cash to get your foot into the door (or shop of course) then just stop.

uh that was the point I got 4300 cash sitting here right now. i want to look at it with a shop and see if they can tackle it.

Well I am a shop and I am able to do it… but you have to understand the amount of work involved. Its going to be money through the roof and little performance gain in the end, not to mention your parts and materials bill. It honestly wont be worth it.

yeah ur not gonna get the ohh’s and ahh’s

gearhead, don’t you have a 81 corolla that is set up for a gn motor?

I say go for it. It’s your money and your car. Every other car at car shows are camaro’s mustangs, and chevelle’s. It would be nice to see something different.