Going AWD v.my1gDSM

:roll2: I have made the final decision on my project as I am tired of usless spinning and the off balance feel of FWD. I know that it’s not up to the pimp level of the RB swap being performed by our eccentric scientist, but I figured it may still be worthy of it’s own thread.

In the very near future…These two cars will be blissfully bonded as one entity. For those that don’t know…The black one is my current FWD that has been in my possesion since 1998 and started life as a 1.8 liter NA SOHC beast breathing out a paltry 93 hp at the crank. The tan one is AWD. The rest is up to me.

I was going to get this project started this winter…but I got hung up on too many other projects (cars/house/work) to get the ball rolling. This will be more fun to do in the summer anyway for obvious reasons and if all goes well, I will be FWD untill July/August, then AWD time. I have to swap my setup into that tan car because the AWD drivetrain would be waaaay to difficult to get into.

I ended up getting lucky with this awd chassis…I got a killer deal on it and I couldn’t resist.

Pro’s-
Texas car(except for the last 2 years) no major rot
Viscous coupling LSD
No ABS
No sunroof
5pc spoiler

-cons
3 bolt rear (I need you guuys to keep eyes open for 4 bolt rear locally)
Notchy trans
needs suspension work

General plan outline…

-Get that purple beast (Bobbies car in the background of the first pic) out of my driveway.
-Keep my FWD DSM in current state and enjoy the beauty of the beast for a few more months.
-Strip the AWD down. (dash, wiring, motor, interior etc…)
-Paint Interior and exterior black.
-keep 1GB Mitsu front end and use 1GA Talon rear end body parts.
-Retain my setup as much as possible during the swap so I can get a direct comparison on drag times and speeds and such.
-RETAIN AS MUCH OF THE SKRAPPER AS POSSIBLE…This car will still be the Skrapper as almost everything will be swapped minus the frame and rear 1/4 panels.

This will be a continuing project and I will keep updating as I go. This weekend will be HUGE!

:tup:

Why not just keep the old one as it is, and build the AWD up to be monster #2?

bout time :tup:

Can’t you convert 3bolts to 4bolts?

I have a 4 bolt LSD parts car in rochester…

BTW, do you need a hand wrenching this weekend? I haven’t been able to work on my cars since I left for school, and i’m getting the itch…

Yeah im confused? why not just sell the FWD car and take the money and build the AWD up? I mean to me what your doing is like taking apart a perfectly good subaru STI and swap all the parts into an older model 2.5rs…?

It depends. Maybe his black car shell is in better condition. Maybe he just wants to do the swap so he knows how to do the swap. Skrap is weird like that. :wink:

Good luck man, take your time. You need a spare set of hands let me know.

Decided you wanted at add more parts into the mix? Wanted some new stuff to break lol :slight_smile:

Anyways looks like fun

Excellent :snky: plan with this thread, your 12 bolt/T56/LT1 will be done and ready for the DSM just in time :wink:

lol

1. I wish I had funding for project car #2, but I can only afford one at the time.

2. I had an offer for my FWD that was outrageous…yet would still not offset the cost of parts/fabrication to start from scratch.

3. My FWD Body is rusty (underneath) and has literally nine coats of paint, and it is plagued by a roof support-removing sunroof that leaks and is falling apart.

4. The paint on the FWD looks good from 20 ft away…but at the next meet, I invite you to look closley and you will see the lack of quality in the coat.

5. FWD sucks

6. This is a straightforward swap and SHOULD be easy.

7. FWD sucks

Bottom line is that I have too much invested in my car that can be swapped out to this car to make it the same if not better. I also love to do stuff like this:headbang:. Thanks for the kind words guys, and I will keep updating this thread as the progress goes!

Also mark…What is the point of being :snky: when you just blabbed my idea all over the web.:nite:

lol.

NICE!!

When we going to dinner, fuckface!?

wow dude

Nice man… nice.

Damn, have fun!

X…

:tup:

Just got my 3 bolt rear end out of the car in prep for the much stronger 4 bolt. Here are a few progress pics…

Driveshaft to diff bolts out
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/Jskrapper/P1000037.jpg

here is the puny 3 bolt axle/cup assy coming apart
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/Jskrapper/P1000039.jpg

and six differential mounting bolts later(two of them very hard to reach)…
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/Jskrapper/P1000040.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/Jskrapper/P1000042.jpg

She falls out. And just like that, I have two front wheel drive dsm’s.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/Jskrapper/P1000043.jpg

I was amazed by how easy it was to pull the diff. Notice that I even left the exhaust hung up and had no problems whatsoever. I still do have to remove the axle cups, but if I do that…the car will not roll so I need to wait untill the 4 bolt axle makes it up here.

Now to decide wether or not I want to sell the 6-bolt or keep it in order to help pay for stuff like this…

hawt :tup:

nice job.