700r4---using all 4 gears in a 1/4 mile run??

seen this guy settin up his car with deep gears for his TPI. he has 4.10’s out back and runs thru all 4 gears of his 700r4 auto during the 1/4 mile run.

I’m thinking 4 gears is better than 3…and his times are pretty impressive. But, Do you think this is a good idea and will actually make u faster? or is it bad to run in overdrive?

anyone ever try gearing an auto car to use all 4 gears?

4th gear is really the torque converter locking up in 3rd gear.

I had a T Type with a 200R (similar tranny), locking the converter after the first to second shift picked up a couple tenths…but was pretty hard on the tranny.

no;jump up a tire size

not true

whats his times?

do you mean its the same effect? cuz i know my converter locks up at 4100ish rpms in 3rd and its noticeable, right before i cross the traps

cuz with 3.27 gears in my TPI car, with the trans shifting high at 5 grand, i cross the traps at 4100rpms or so…just about perfect since my peak hp is just under 4200.

4.10’s will force the car to go into 4th gear provided he has the trans setup to shift into OD at wot. he said he crosses in OD at 3600rpms

the guy claims to have a bone stock L98 with nothing more than 3.73gears (had 4.10’s i believe at one time) in a full weight trans am and no a/c, smog/all that shit. just crank pulley and alternator. has electric water pump…1.6 roller rockers…full exhaust, torque arm, TB… and a chip

no converter or anything…stock auto.

the car has gone 12.9’s at 104mph… 1.75 60 foots…i’m not sure if its 100% stock but it does run thsoe times…seen the vids of it.

just wondering if gearing the trans for all 4 gears during the run could make a car that much quicker? cuz my car with 2800 stall and 3.27’s is only pulling 1.7x 60 foots and this guy doesnt have a higher stall. my buddies L98 formula pulls low 1.9x 60 foots on street tires with his 3.73 gears and runs 13.6s at 100.

i bet he’s not using convertor lockup either.

i was gonna try experimenting on different converter lock up speeds under WOT, but my rear end took a crap! sucks so much…doubt i’ll be at the track again this year

try unhooking the lockup for racing. the slippage without may be better for your low powered car. lol

dont race in OD. thats not worth it!!! it will shorten your trans life

don’t do it

once you start bumpin up that power all you’ll do is roast the tires on the street. A hardcore TPI setup doesn’t need 3.73s

naw, i’m not gonna try it but was just curious. if i ever wanted to go for quickest ET for mild L98 like mine, i thought maybe using 4 gears will get it done

if its stock,its quik’s stock!

pro stock uses 5 gear and goes fast as hell, fuel cars dont use a tranny and go faster.

pro stock uses 5 gear and goes fast as hell, fuel cars dont use a tranny and go faster.

so what ur sayin is… i need more horsepower? :hsdance:

Does it make a difference with a 4L60E weather or not you use overdrive in the 1/4? Does drive disable tc lockup?

same thing!

You’ll cause more damage with OD to your tranny.I’m rebuilding a 700r at school as we speak I hate them though because everything is embedded in the clutch packs like your check balls and stuff.

why does it cause damage? is it due to excessive heat while being in OD or extra stress somehow to the smaller OD gears?