3.73's or 4.10's????

Just curious what the pro’s and cons of both gears are. I’ve heard that for all around driving it good to have the 3.73’s where as the 4.10’s are really good for track use but will kill your gas mileage. Anybodys who has had experience with either one please post your suggestions. Oh yea the car is a 02 5spd Mustang GT which is basically stock except for a mac cai and flowmaster exhaust.:cool:

i had an '03 mustang gt w/ an x-pipe, cat-back, pullies, a cold air induction and 3.73’s it ran pretty good decent on the highway, but if i could do it again i would go w/ 4.10’s, the 3.73’s were pretty good out of the hole and i noticed a differenece, but i put 4.10’s in my old '97 camaro and was very much more impressed and from what i heard from other mustang guys, 4.10’s and 3.73’s aren’t to big of a difference crusing in 5th

Oh ok cool swift cause some people make it seem like the 4.10’s are rediculous to drive while on the highway but its nice to have an opinion from someone who has actually had them and not here say. Thanks.

4:10s are not too bad when you have overdrive. it depends on what you are looking to do though

I’d go 3:73’s for a 2 valve 4.6, 4:10’s or 4:30’s suit the 4 valve better as they rev higher.

4.56:1 ftw

no problem man i think you will notice a substantial difference w/ either gears, but if i were you i would go w/ 4.10’s

the difference is if you get 4.10’s first, your only going to do it once and be happy. If you go 3.73 your going to be pissed off that you didn’t man up and get 4.10’s.

i know one kid with a full bolt on GT on another forum and he runs 3.73s… he says thats as much as he would go. i’d say 4.10’s for a 4v and 3.73’s for a 2v
if you arent lookin to race it often and want a good compromise between driving and racing.

if you want to maximize more 1/4 mile with alittle less mileage on the highway, then 4.10’s for the GT 2v and 4.30s+ for the 4v cobras/mach I

Different rim height also comes into play don’t forget that whatever you do.But thats only if you have diffrent size wheels then stock.

rim size isnt going to matter unless you add into weight. its when you change overall height where it makes a difference

now 4.6s like to rev but also have to remember you dont want to be in 1.1 and run out of steam either…just ask swift about his latest experience with to much gear for a stock motor

4;10’s

yea but dont scare the boy i ran out of gear in my stock '02 ss w/ 4.56’s, 4.10’s in that mustang from my experience w/ my old mustangs will be perfect

I put 3.73’s in my truck because I was worried 4.10’s would be too low.
Now, on the highway 2600 RPM at 70 mph in 5th.

4.10’s would only be about 200 rpm higher, so definitely not ridiculous.

Consider how sticky your rear tires are also…it can be tough getting stock GT 245/45/17 Eagle’s to grip with 4.10s under decent throttle. Hell, it can be tough with stock 3.27s. More gear doesn’t really help if it just makes you spin more. If you plan on buying drag radials or something I’d go with the 4.10s for sure, otherwise, I’d personally stick with the 3.73s.

go 4.10s u will be happy

:bigthumb:

3.73’s = better gas milage

4:10 = a win over the guy with 3:73