86 f250 over heating issue

just started overheating took the t stat out still over heating any ideas? its a 351

clogged rad maybe?

heater core or bad rad also,headgaskeT?

brian you wanna do head gasketts if it needs them?

I’d put a $5 on a head gasket.

are the hoses collapsing? seen that before esp on an older truck

yup that too,see ^^^^ he’s good at head & fords!:smiley:

definatly needs head gaskets

www.1st-try.com

honest question, how does a headgasket failure cause overheating?

Head gasket leaks compression pressure into cooling system. The cap on the rad can only maintain 16psi. When this is overcome your coolent gets sent to the overflow bottle, and a huge air pocket is left in its place. Thus not leaving enough fluid to cool the engine.

wow I never woulda thought of that, thanks

ant advise or tricks i should know before putting headgaskets on?

be organized

Take shit off and put shit back on. We did head gaskets on my dads explorer 4.0 a while ago and it took about 4 hours total. Keep a box of plastic bags and a sharpie handy and go to town. I usually use masking tape and label the connectors and shit, but that’s a little overkill. good luck

are you getting the heads pressure tested? just cheap insurance to me to make sure they are cracked

x2

x3

keep pushrods in the same place and rockers… just get a few old beer cases and use them to keep them organized like left front and right front and keep the rockers in order. and clean clean clean the serface. minus well get the heads decked to get them cleaned up… if you think its ness. broughers on 51 does them for like 30 bucs a head i think… not expensive to keep you from doing it again. but not totally ness all the time.

left exhaust manifold bolts are so rusted that the bolts are not even visable any ideas how to get them out?