87 honda valve seal change

ok… lets try this again…

im looking at an 87 accord for 300 bucks… drives good and looks like shit but i just need it to get back and forth to work cause gas is killing me… im not familiar at all with hondas… so my question is, the 2.0 is good except for the valve seal is leaking and needs replaced on one of the cylinders… does anyone have experience working honda engines that could guide me through this if i get it?

i wouldnt even worry about it just keep the oil level up. unless its got severe mechanical problems where the seller is feeding you bull shit

well im gonna go drive it around some more tomorrow and see myself if anything feels off on it

a leaky valve seal shouldn’t really hurt driveability at all, like was said before, just watch the oil level. dont bother changing it unless its got bad compression on that cyl, and if thats the case, a valve seal probably isnt the problem.

I agree with everyone it might burn a quart a week or so maybe less depending on how bad the seals are, if youre talking like 2 quarts a week or some crazy amount, park it in a differant spot and see if it leaks anything when you drive it back

i might have some spare seals around here somewhere, and i might have a spare head or 2 also… Is it carbed or fi?

its carbed. but im not gonna get it… apparently its so bad that it files out the plugs all the time… went today for another drive and he couldnt get it started… it wasnt worth it for me to get into that shit

it is probably easier/faster to just replace the head. a used, good condition head shouldn’t cost more than $100.

Yeah, and with the price of scrap now, you could buy it, drive it, and later scrap it, and still break even, haha.

a whole engine for that car shouldn’t be more than $300.

probably right… the other major hanging point was that after looking in the engine bay a lil more, he decided he wanted to do some homemade wiring for some stuff and i dont trust that… i also dont feel like re-wiring a car again… once was enough… the engine coulda been ok with the said head replacement but im not taking chances with some idiot fucking around with the electrical… sucks too cause the body wasnt in bad shape at all