89 won't start, need help ASAP!

charge your battery, run your car, and take off tha positive terminal, if it dies its your altenator.

ok i have an 89 hatch, heres the story
when i bought it had troubles starting cuz it sat so long, i had for about 2-3 weeks and every now and then it would have trouble, then one day it just died. so i thought it was the battery cuz the light would periodically come one, so i put in a new battery, and within 4 days it was completely dead, and yeah i know how to hook up a battery, and no i didn’t leave anything on. now it doesn’t even turn over or display the clock, whats wrong with my car? i think it might be a bad ground or a short in a wire somewhere but i’m not sure

Alternator

is there any way i can test it to see if its pooched?

easy, charge your batt, run your car, if your Batt Dies then it is bust, or just get a volt meter, start the car and see what the voltage is, it should be at least 14V with the car running

charge your battery, run your car, and take off tha positive terminal, if it dies its your altenator.

boost start your car with jumper cables, battery doesnt even have to be in, if it dies the moment u undo the jumper cables its your alt, make sure your positive doesnt ground out, dont mix up + and - or u’ll fry both cars…

boost start your car with jumper cables, battery doesnt even have to be in, if it dies the moment u undo the jumper cables its your alt, make sure your positive doesnt ground out, dont mix up + and - or u’ll fry both cars…

ok i have an 89 hatch, heres the story
when i bought it had troubles starting cuz it sat so long, i had for about 2-3 weeks and every now and then it would have trouble, then one day it just died. so i thought it was the battery cuz the light would periodically come one, so i put in a new battery, and within 4 days it was completely dead, and yeah i know how to hook up a battery, and no i didn’t leave anything on. now it doesn’t even turn over or display the clock, whats wrong with my car? i think it might be a bad ground or a short in a wire somewhere but i’m not sure

Alternator

is there any way i can test it to see if its pooched?

easy, charge your batt, run your car, if your Batt Dies then it is bust, or just get a volt meter, start the car and see what the voltage is, it should be at least 14V with the car running

I had the same thing happen to me in the winter; it was the alternator. I had already replaced the battery with a new one about a month earlier, so I knew that was fine. I was driving along and the car just sputtered and died. :frowning:

With the new alternator in, no trouble starting since. :smiley: