car won't start...

Maybe there was a post about this issue with someone else, but i really need to get some opinions.

Here’s the situation; I have a 91 hatch with blacktop sr20det, fmic, blitz bov, and nothing else major done under the hood. I live up in Northern Ontario, Canada. Last fall, at about the end of October, it began to get too cold, and we were starting to get shitty weather, so I made the call, and parked the car for the winter. So, lets say it has been sitting since November 1st of last year. For the first couple months, I would go out and start the car and let it run for 10-15 minutes about once every week, but for the last 3 months I neglected to do so, and no the car won’t fire up.

Right off the bat, I came to the conclusion that the battery was dead (and possibly frozen, from sitting in the garage). So i about 2 weeks ago, I boosted the car, and sure enough it fired up with no issues. I let it run for a few mins, didnt hear anything weird or different that I did last season, so i figured everything was fine, then it died. Since then, I have been tinkering with it, but still wont startup. Complete oil & filter change, brand new plugs, tested each for spark, each one was good, checked all relays and fuzes, they were all ok, checked to see if the fuel pump was coming on and the engine was getting fuel, and it was. I have my battery relocated to the rear, and we checked the grounds (fixed a couple of them) and still no go. I took the battery to a local shop, had them charge it and load test it, and it came back with a pass. Threw the recharged battery back in, tried to start the car up, but nothing. HOWEVER, now with a charged battery, the car seemed on the verge of firing up, and sounded much more alive than before, but still nothing.

The engine gets fuel, has spark, and is cranking over, but just wont fire up. Im thinking either the starter is bad (if it was bad, it wouldn’t be cranking over, right?) or i have a wiring issue. However a buddy of mine thinks it may be a bad gas issue. Do you really think it could be a gas issue? The car has only been sitting for 4 months with 3 1/4s of a tank. So please, if you have any ideas as to what I can check out, please post them, i really need to get my ride going.

well if your car is cranking over it is not the starter or the battery, i really do not think it is bad gas, there could be a small chance some water froze in the fuel lines, that happned to me last winter.

what brand and grade of gas?

did you use any gasline antifreeze?

Pull the fuel lines off and turn the IGN to on. If you get fuel pouring out then you should be fine as far as fuel goes.

the highest octane i have here is 91 i beleive

and no i dont beleive used any gasline anti-freeze. But the thing is, the gas is is making it to the filter and the engine, so MAYBE the filter is pooched

when you say “plugs” do you mean the actual spark plugs or just the wires?

more often than not issues starting in the cold are because of spark plugs gone bad from fuel saturation.

and I’ve had cars in storage for over a year and start up no problem. when gas goes “bad” it’s still combustable it just detonates more easily…

if you seriously think it’s a gas issue pull out the feed line, prime the pump and piss all the fuel out and put a few litres of “good” gas.

after more troubleshooting today, it looks like I have a blown headgasket, just for those who are curious.

what made u jump from a no start issue, to a bad head gasket? did u do a leak down test? also could have been with ur battery, it may have had enough power to crank but not start (not enough amprage). and ive had many a car or mine start with a blown head gasket before. how far north are ya i may be able to come and help if ya want

Cheers
Chris

My car has a blown headgasket, but starts. It takes some time, and feels like shi!#, but it starts.

try smelling the sparks if there is any gasoline in there…possible your motor was flooded…if u have a starter problem…usually…u will hear starter only with a click sound!