need help!!! car wont start when its too cold

my brothers’ 89 240 wont start when its really cold but when the weather is warmer it does start… what could be the problem???
the battery is new and when i check the battery while its running it reads 14.10 volts that means the alternator is still good.
what could be the problem?? this only happens when the weather is really cold but today it started so i’m guessing it wont start again when the weather gets colder again…

Can you test for cold cranking amps? Someone here has got to know.

He’ll need a “load” tester…
If you think that’s the problem it’s prolly a good idea to swing by canuck tire, they’ll test it for you, dunno how much though.

How about a few more symptoms…?
Does the starter crank the engine (like normal starting sound)
Have you tried turning the key to ON and just waiting for the fuel system to pressurize (5-10 seconds) THEN starting?
Does it stumble and stall?

So please, tell us exactly what it does/doesn’t do.

Free, just bring in the battery. Thought it must be over 11v to get a proper reading.

battery is new and as for waiting 5-10seconds i dont do that…
i also forgot… it cranks when its cold but wont start at all… it shouldnt be my cables right ???

Is your oil grade too thick?

i dont remember what grade i have for the oil ??

^^^ balls for admiting that!

First off, In future post you should provide more details about the problem. Otherwise you will get flamed for being an idiot. Second, you might give the gas pedal a little tap or hold it to the floor when starting it. My engine was always a bitch to start but it usually got going with a little gas.

Maybe the cold has nothing to do with it? It might be an intermittent problem.

More details are needed… can’t diagnose something with minimal info.

spark plugs are new, battery is new (just got it tested and its good)
i’m thinking it might be the starter… alternator is good since i checked it yesterday and its charging… basically the car wont start whenever its really cold… today it started coz the weather was ok

if it’s cranking then it’s not a problem with the starter.
Try doing what I suggested earlier, turn the key to “ON”, wait 5 seconds THEN turn it to start. Maybe your fuel pump is starting to go and it’s just not priming the lines quick enough…

If you can’t figure out why your car can’t start just bring it to a mechaninc dude.

my mech told me everything is fine… now were just goin to experiment what could be the possible problem… i put some anti freeze additive for the gas tank, thinking that there might be some water on the gas lines and when its too cold it freezes and causes it not to start… i’ll let u know what happens when the weather goes back to below 0 :smiley:

Engine might be flooding, try disconecting the injectors and then starting it to clear out the excess fuel. Then start it while pressing the throttle.

i dont get it… explain :smiley:

Try some gas line antifreeze .99 cents a bottle.

i dont get it… explain :D[/quote]

Press the gas pedal all the way in and try to start the car. This is called a clear flood mode, where the ECU recognizes the full open throttle position and shuts off gas delivery to the engine. Let the engine turn over until most or all of the gas is cleaned out and the engine starts. Release the gas pedal when the engine starts.

already did when it was warm and it still running… but when it got cold , it wont start again… as for the gas pedal trick. ive done that couple of times and it still wont work :frowning:

…by the way . is “water remover” the same as gas line antifreeze ?
coz thats what i put

the car run today coz of the weather being a little warm ( not so cold :smiley: )
i filled up the tank full and added another “water remover” by STP
it says it helps prevent gas line freeze. this is my second bottle, coz i put some before the weather dropped down back in december. now oi hope this secong bottle helps my car to satrt again in cold weather :smiley:
i drove around for at least 30 to 45 mins just to get the anti freeze goes around in the system…