94 F150 Fuel Line Replacement

Sounds like an easy job. And it should have been. I replaced the GAS Tank in my F150. Problem is that I F’d the fuel line coupling that goes onto the sending unit. So I cut the Couplings off both the High and Low pressure lines. You with me so far?

The lines on the truck are braided stainless. I bought new couplings and barbs. I tried to splice the couplings to the SS line and…it pisses fuel every where. The Barb will not hold tight enough to the interior of the SS line because there is hardly any rubber.

I thought about hacking the SS lines out completely to where it is hard mounted on the Frame. There is about 1-1/2 of Tubing then connect to another SS line. I would cut the existing tubing…add a compression fitting and run rubber hose to the tank. The problem is the sending unit has 3/8 and 5/16 fittings. But the lines themselves are both 5/16.

So, here is my question:

Should I run 2 5/16 lines (Hi/Lo) or can I run 1 5/16 (Lo) and 1 3/8 (Hi)? I have to start a 3/8 connection from the sending unit. One way would be to cut the 3/8 coupling and use a compression fitting down to 5/16. Or do I throw a length of 3/8 hose then reduce to 5/16 then use a compression fitting on the high pressure side. I’m afraid if I drop the hose sizes the truck will not run right. But both lines “appear” to be the same size. Just the sending unit coupling from Ford WAS 3/8 to 5/16 and the coupling from Carquest is 3/8 to 3/8. So I am stuck with 3/8 hose.

I just don’t want to have this thing keep pissing fuel everywhere. So if I could avoid adding more junk in the lines that would help.

If any one has a better suggestion I am all ears. I have not driven my truck in 3 days because of this Damn line.

5/16 line should be fine for that motor; don’t think it needs anything more.

As for how to do it… hmm… not totally sure; Call me and I’ll come over and we can figure it out; I think better when I’m looking at it instead of trying to read your mumbo-jumbo :stuck_out_tongue:

or you could just eliminate 1 of the tanks

^ The Rear tank is already shot. This is the only one left. My F150 is not is as nice as some of those Lightnings are, Haha.

Is there even a reason for running two lines from the sending unit only to splice back into one that runs through the filter? Can I plug a line or just run both to a “Y” and go right to the filter? Then I don’t even need to cut anything.

Essentially I want to replace the SS line off of, what looks like, and intermediate fuel rail???. I’m thinking I will give it one last shot with these compression fittings. After that I will say fudge it and rip it all out and buy a replacement, unless what I mentioned above with the “Y” is an option. I will call you if this doesn’t work. Thanks Bud.

Fuck.

That is all I can say.

I replaced lines with hose upto the “rail” where the SS lines attach, Tank, Sending unit is working, No leaks, and the Fucker STILL Won’t start. WTF?!!

Anyways, any ideas?

The motor keeps turning over but Gas is not getting to the chamber. From what I can tell the Gas leaves the sending unit. There are no kinks in any lines they are all that braided stainless. The only thing I can think of is when I went from a 3/8 hose to a 5/16 hose I had to use 2 hose barbs. Can the 5/16 hose barb be restricted the line pressure, the ID is about .20" compared to the .23" ID of the actual fuel line.

I know there could be blockage but where? The fuel filter is about a foot from where I spliced into the lines with the hose but I blew out the lines before I installed them. Are the injectors F’ed with something? This should not be this hard. Can I disconnect the fuel lines from somewhere and see if it pisses fuel out to verify it is getting to the block?

Fuck, I am about ready to just put a for sale sign on this Bitch. a GODDAMN gas tank job should not take a month.

End Rant.

let me guess … when you turn the key forward the pump stays running … it doesnt do it’s 5 second prime ???

Do you hear the fuel pump priming/running when you just turn the key to run?

I’ve got a Fuel Pressure Tester if you want to use it let me know.

If it is blocked, it could be anywhere in the line, but normally it’ll either jam at size changes (barb, or filter), or at the back of the fuel rail where that line connects.

From what I can tell it is getting primed, the pump will shut off…when I dropped the tank the whole line almost went dry. Do I need to “bleed” them somehow?? I would think a few cycles of the crank should get the air out.

Should the Hi and Low lines both prime?

I hear it kick on, then shut off, go to start and the Engine keeps spinning and not firing up?

Eff…You…Sea…Kay.

I may have to test the line pressure…you free this weekend at all?

did u replace the filter too?? my friend did on his car and it was the wrong one so basically it was spinning the fuel to the filter and back. and his car like turned over for a half a second or so and then kept cranking.

After hours of toying with this piece it took me a hole hour on Sunday to finally get it running. Two things were holding it up. The first was the Filter was clogged. The second was the fact I had the lines reversed :picard:

Needless to say I am officially a Dumbass and the Truck is fine. At least I did not take it to my mechanic.

Thanks guys for your input.

Good move dumbass…

at least it’s fixed though…