97 Accord Starting Problems

I have a 97 honda accord. It starts like not even half the time. I put a brand new starter in it like 5 months ago, and that didn’t fix the problem. In order to start the car I have to either roll the car back a little bit and pop the clutch in second, or just jump start it. Anyways its a pain in the ass to do, so I took it to Ray Lak’s Honda and they did the $88 electronic diagnostic test and they told me it was a bad starter motor. I told them I just replaced the starter 5 months ago and it didn’t fix the problem, but they insisted that it was a bad starter. So I told them to put a new starter in. That all cost me $483.06 and when I went to start my car today to go to work. NOTHING! I’m really pissed because I spent $483 for no reason. I think it might be a starter relay but i’m really not sure. Does anyone know what the problem could be. Also the alternator and battery tested fine. Thanks!

bad starter?

lol, just joshin’ ya. Check all of your grounds.

vac leak

wait, jump start it??? ok… what does it do when it cranks? is it a weak crank?

Yea I thought about that and realized that i’m am not electrically inclined, and my wiring is a freakin mess. And I also waisted a shit load of $$$

I turn the key and the radio and everything turns on, but there is no crank or anything. It’s almost like i’m only turning the key to an intermediate level. Or in the rare event that ot actually starts, sometimes it is delayed. I turn the key and there after like a second or 2 it starts.

I will buy it off ya if ya want to sell it?

Anyway, check the ground from the tranny to the chassis it might need to be cleaned or could need to be replaced.

Could be the clutch pedal switch as well. Make sure its fully engaged and then go from there.

what he said^^^

oh and check all the wiring from the starter to the battery. does it have an aftermarket alarm?

I’d sell it to ya but I kind of need a car to get to work to pay for my car lol. Anyways I’ll have to check the ground tomorow. But wouldn’t the honda electronic diagnostic test show that? Thanks!

No alarm. So if ya wanna steal it feel free. I’ll even leave the key in the ignition for ya! If it starts it’s yours! LOL

is the starter getting juice when you try to start the car?

i had this problem in my del sol…all i did was attach another ground to the starter and never had the problem ever again…

PMed