97 honda starter issue.

Having an issue with the beater.
97 ex coupe 5 speed.

Starter spins but doesn’t engage the flywheel.

Happens randomly, Car warm/car cold, Sometimes it works on the second attempt or third.

I replaced the starter and the issue popped back up.
Ideas?
All the wiring to the starter is intact and appears to be in good condition.

I see no awesome feat of reliability here.

if you replaced it once and its doing it agan, its either a shitty connection, or shitty starter, why not warranty it if possible…

New starter didn’t fix the issue at all.
It just damn intermittent and the connection to the starter is simple and good.

ok so then ignition switch or a ground or something…pull the on wires goin to the starter, make sure its not green or loose

Sounds like your flywheel may have some damage. I’d take off the flywheel cover and see if you can see any damaged teeth on the flywheel or perhaps some rocks/debris in the bell housing that would be inhibiting the starter teeth from engaging the flywheel. If you have access to a boroscope you could also take the starter out and use the scope for an even better look.

I pulled the starter again and the flywheel looks clean.
Ran a second ground wire from the trans ground to the negative terminal.
Triple checked all the connections.
Jumped the car, hoping maybe a low batt.

and the starter still just spins and doesn’t engage.
Doesn’t even sound like it is popping out.

this might not even help but make sure its not an automatic starter. where the teeth suppose to line up with the flywheel, their a difference in length between manual and auto.

maybe.

I’m out of ideas.
got the starter to work once today with it mounted.

With all the connections I am using with it mounted (Still hooked up to the car but with the starter not mounted) if I jump it, starter seems to operate as expected.
If I mount the starter to the trans and jump it, it just spools and doesn’t engage the flywheel. but since it has engaged the flywheel before I would assume it is the right starter.
I tried to shim it and got nothing.

SO, I mounted the starter again.
It worked for a day. and now it’s back to just spooling.

you have a bad connection somewhere. you need to check voltages/connections starting at the starter with it bolted up as it would be normally. Check cranking voltage vs battery voltage. Battery voltage should be between 13-14.5. When cranking it will drop but see how far it drops. usually anything under 10 and it won’t be enough to properly operate it. But make sure you do it bolted to the transmission. Compare voltage from at the starter (non crank) vs at the battery. there should be no drop.

run another ground from the starter…i have had 2 issues wit this wit 2 differnt hodnas and all i had to do was add a custom ground to the starter and never had another issue with it

did you check the flywheel to see if the teeth were stripped?

Id check the ground and the starter solenoid to see if its engaging. If not then Id probably check to see if you have the starter for an auto tranny.

I thought this could be the issue and have not checked the voltage
But bench testing it with the batt it works fine and mounted in the car (but not connected to the trans) It works fine.

I did. No dice.

Update.
\When I unbolt the starter and remove it (when it fucks up), as I pull it away from the transmission There is a click noise that sounds like the starter gear retracting…So it seems like it is getting stuck out in some sort of starter limbo…and just free spinning.

I didn’t even think of this…sounds like this could be your culprit. I don’t know which one sticks in further but I could generalize that one of three things could be happening.

1. When the starter teeth “pop out” to engage the flywheel teeth, it could be just barely reaching the teeth on the flywheel and your starts are hit and miss.
  2. The starter teeth are almost already engaged with the fly and when it “pops out” to engage the flywheel teeth, it can’t make it’s full “pop out” distance and the starter itself spins freely. I don’t know if that’s even possible(doesn’t seem like it would be) as i’ve never torn down a starter to see the actual mechanics of it.
  3. I don’t know off hand, but if a AT has a larger flywheel, the starter itself would have a smaller cog to engage the flywheel, or a slightly different mounting location in the bell housing perhaps causing the teeth to engage at the very tips of both the flywheel and starter once again causing intermittant failure.

Hope this helps.

If all else fails, just always park on a hill. MTs have their advantages. :wink:

Found the issue.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Minglor/flywheel.jpg

Thanks to anyone who tried to lend some info.

LOL WTF the ring gear was loose?

lmao I didnt even know that it could break like that

how the hell… what about… wait a second…

how did it start sometimes?!?! im confused!!!

Haha thats pretty damn bad. Reminds me of when i broke the center out of the flex plate on my chevy. Made some clunks one day then was fine. I was driving for about a week on a flex plate that the center just wedged itself back into place.