Non-Stop Starter Problem

Here’s a strange starter problem (and according to my search, a new one too).

Car is a '95 Stock, auto (until the new SR goes in).

Starting has been a bit flaky the past week. Car starts okay but then won’t restart until a “cool-down” period - before that period nothing happens. Today, something new: Stop the car, remove the key and I still hear a loud “whirling” - sounds like a vacuum cleaner. After some baffled searching, realise that its the starter running no-load/full-speed, with the keys in my hand! Nothing will stop it until I yank the battery terminal. Reattaching the terminal just re-starts the running motor problem!

Finally, after a period of worrying, freezing and waiting (with battery detached). I re-attach the power, everything sounds normal and the car starts fine. With the car stopped in the garage the problem starts again.

Best I can figure from the FSM and my own figuring - the starter solenoid is seriously screwed so that when warm it shorts “on”. Anybody in the KW area have a good starter for me? Any other theories?

sounds lik ur starter relay is sticking

change it

solenoid… more likely…

He said the starters always on, and dosnt the starter solenoid push the gear onto the teeth of the flywheel ? and if he can hear it spinning when the keys arent in the ignition then it has to be somthin electrical giveing the starter power.

Its all good now - got a new starter. Thanks minimum! Thanks for the tips guys but starter power works like this: Little wire provides power to the solenoid winding which engages the drive gear to the flywheel and closes the switch allowing power from the big wire to drive the motor. Something has to be seriously f’d inside the solenoid to allow power to the starter motor without moving the solenoid plunger first.