Heres some trouble shooting for ya

Hey guys

my starter went on my ( or so i thought) so i bought a new starter and am having the same problem as before and am now completely lost.

What happens is that it sounds like the starter isnt ingaging… it just spins freely. Once the car is started and running it starts up time and time again no problem. its just after the cars been sitting during a work shift or overnight.

the even weirder thing is that when the car is hot and has been running and you go to start it with the clutch in … it does the same whiiring sound. but then will start no problem with the clutch out.

People have told me to check the flywheel for missing teeth. If there are any (and i dont have any reason to believe there is) what are the chances that the starter just so happens to have to start on that same point everytime.

are theyre any other key things i should be looking for im at a loss of what could be wrong with it and kinda need it to be reliable to go to work with everyday.

The car is a 1990 hatch with an SR redtop

any input in appreciated

thanks
-Jordie

http://www.son240sx.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43583

look through here. =)

thanks for the link dude we shall check into it tomorrow anyone else have any leads?

Theres a very small plate/dust sheild at the very bottom/middle of the motor held with 2x10mm bolts that may give you access to see the flywheel teeth. Otherwise pull the starter and stick your finger in there and get some one to slowly spin the motor over by hand while you feel for any sudden gaps where teeth should be on the flywheel. Please be carefull and dont get your finger stuck or broken :slight_smile:

np bro.

I’m gonna have to say flywheel. Or the starter motor you got is defective. The brushes could be sticking to the armature when it’s cold. Then loosens up when it’s gets warmer.

Either way, pull the starter back out. Check flywheel one tooth at a time. Bench test starter. Then check the integrity of your starter’s wiring. Battery cable and remote.