okay another thread(starter related)

okay i hooked everything up to try and crank the engine over tonight. now the starter either clicks and pops out…or spins…any ideas? i hooked up power to both spots on the solenoid like in the diagram…bad ground possibly? can anyone help me out?

take starter out …

ground it with - of batt
put + batt to the nut
have someone jump poss to the spot where you plug in the start wire…

this should make the starter jump and you will see it pop out and spin… if nothign happens its broke

okay heres my problem…the starter pops out and spins when its out of the transmission but when its in it it doesnt spin it just engages…any ideas?

clean the area where it goes in… also do you have a batt charger on the car at the time of all this?

change the battery, you don’t have enough juice

i was thinking it was the battery…i put a charger on it for like an hour and then i let my parents car charge it for another hour…im going to try the battery out of their car and see what happens.

Does it work if you jump it from your parents car? That will tell you if it’s a battery issue.

If it does, new battery.

If it doesn’t, start checking your grounds and main starter wire for lose connections. Sounds like the starter is getting power but not enough amps to crank the engine over.

it doesnt work when i try to jump it with their car either. all of the connections are secure…i’m leaning towards a bad battery. also i was told if you leave your battery on the cement it’ll kill the cells…is this true?

we had this same problem on my buddy shawns EF hatch when we did the B swap, never got around to diagnosing it before he left for bootcamp though.

yeah im going to try the battery out of my rents cutlass when i get home…im hoping thats all it is. the connections seem fine on the starter.

also try to just jump from the starter when in the car make sure its not in gear… there could be a problem with the wire from the key that is what happened in my ef swap the wire would not carry the power and i ran a $3 push button from shitshack

like i said shoot me a call

If it won’t go with a jump I doubt it’s the battery unless you have a set of POS walmart jumper cables that they make out of speaker wire.

And no, storing it on cement will not hurt it unless it’s one of those old hard rubber cased batteries (like pre 1970).

Are you sure the starter is good? If so start checking grounds, or make a temporary ground using your jumper cables. Black jumper cable from the battery to something metal on the motor, preferably near the starter.