Starting 'Clicking' Problem

Just a few minutes ago I went to start the car, and all its doing is superfast clicking… The battery was good, but I checked it anyways (it’s in the trunk) I checked to make sure the cables were tight, which they were… So confused i try to start it again, this time no problem. Again I turn the car off and same thing… Clicking… Touching the negative cable again seemed to fix it… I’m so far assuming this sounds like a grounding issue… Would this make sence, or might it just be a conicidence… Like I said its tight, and have been workin for quite awhile now…

James

you don’t have enough power to start. could be ground conetions. How is it grounded? and what size cables are you using?

Well the connections seem to be all ok to me… I also had the battery checked, and it tested out perfect… Jump starting the car didn’t make a difference either, so at this point I’m thinkin it’s the starter… The only thing that would make me think slightly otherwise is that my clock in my car resets each time I try to start the car with the clicking… Would that be typical if it was the starter???

James

sorry man, what motor is it?

I garntee you that the starter is not getting enough power.

Check your Engine Ground…

It could be a short somewhere. Clean your battery terminals and posts then clean your starter connections.

Ive had the starter clicking sound before and the starter was dead so it could be that aswell.

I have a dohc starter if you need it for 50.
Try jump start your starter.

Sorry guys, It’s actually an SR. My connections look to be ok… The battery is in the trunk, so its kept pretty clean. Everything’s tight…

Any idea where the starter is located, and can i get to it without putting the car up? I haven’t checked the starter connection, just cause I dunno what it looks like!

James

battery cable that runs to the intake manifold. Is it there?

Chassis ground at teh battery is it in a good locaiton?

It is most deffinately a bad connection. This is a common problem with relocating the battery to the trunk. check what Sasha said.

your can see your starter underneath your intake manifold, it is attached to the tranny.

u really do have to get under the car to get best access at it, i doubt you will have a good time giving it a thorough look over from up top.

Ok, Well I had my starter checked out, and apparently its perfectly good… BUT the guy did show mention that one of the terminal contacts was extremely close to the metal body of the starter, and probably making contact and grounding out. There does appear to be a tiny burnt spot where it was prob touching. So I really hope this is the issue as it would make sence… AND i don’t have to fork out for a new or rebuilt starter.

Now I just gotta find someone with Jack’s and stand’s to come and give me a hand putting it back on! There be $50 in it for someone!!

JAmes