need some guidance with starting issues

So I was working on my 1964 Galaxie 500XL trying to get the engine to turn over by using the starter. So I did an oil change, then threw a battery in the car. I jumped the solenoid from the battery (to avoid having to deal with possible ignition problems) and the solenoid clicks… but the starter doesn’t turn over.

I pulled the starter and brought it to the local car shop and had it tested which they said it’s fine (surprisingly after 43 years its still alright). So I replaced the wire that goes between the solenoid and the starter and cleaned up the contact points. Tried to turn it over again and still no luck… I’m not sure where to go from here.

Any suggestions are extremely appreciated!

possiblility of it being seized?

I also make sure the grounds are clean. look at the battery ground.

I really don’t think its seized… It may be but I had the crankshaft/pistons turning by hand no problem at all so I really don’t think that it is…

[quote=“1995gts,post:3,topic:36573"”]

I also make sure the grounds are clean. look at the battery ground.

[/quote]

That is one thing i was thinking… The negative power cable definitely doesn’t look to healthy. The terminal on the battery is fine being that its from a car I use daily…

Cheap way is to use a jumper cable from the starter to a ground…but really if the grounds look bad just replace them or clean them now.,

Be interested in seeing the car, great year and model…

I’m starting to think that it may just be because the battery I was using is just too small. I was just using a battery from my DD (Integra GS-R) because I figured that it would at least crank a little bit even if it didn’t turn it all the way over… but maybe not? I don’t feel like spending the 60-100 bucks for a battery that may end up just sitting there in the car and not be utilized if the car is going to take a lot to get running. I’ll have to grab a battery from a friends truck or something and try that out… I’ll have to try a new negative cable… but here are a few pictures since you asked…

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y229/jamzrowear12/DSCN0955.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y229/jamzrowear12/DSCN0958.jpg

and here’s the motor I’m workin with… 36,000 miles
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y229/jamzrowear12/DSCN0963.jpg

now thats a nice car. Little work under the hood and it be killer, love the style. Hows the interior?

[quote=“1995gts,post:9,topic:36573"”]

now thats a nice car. Little work under the hood and it be killer, love the style. Hows the interior?

[/quote]

Interior is pretty much immaculate… There’s only 1 rip about 2 inches long in one of the seats

Here are a couple pictures of the seats/interior before I cleaned them up…

That has to be a blast to drive, good luck with the car…Should look excellent when You are done.

Yeah… I’m hoping to have it done for spring time so I can drive up and get some custom exhaust work done then start bringing it to shows :slight_smile: But first I’ve got to try and figure out this starting issue but hopefully a bigger battery and a new ground cable will do the trick.

we do shows all the time, hope to see you at a couple. Any updates?

No updates as of yet… I’d definitely love to make it out to some of your shows but it’d be quite a drive from Albany but once the Galaxaie is running i’ll be sure to make it out! but midterms are hitting me this week and didn’t have the time to get over and work on the car any… I did happen to get the correct starter solenoid today so I’ll be hopefully throwing that in tomorrow and throwing in a battery sometime during the week. I’ll keep you posted

Updates on the Galaxie!
I replaced a couple things when I could over this past week including the starter solenoid, and did the positive/negative battery cables today after cleaning up the ground on the block… threw a battery in it and jumped the solenoid… turned right over like a charm!

Since I had the battery in it I started messing with the convertible top… So I unhooked the top and the convertible motor still works perfectly (I didn’t put the top all the way back but it worked fine for about a foot before i stopped it)

But I guess at this point, its a matter of spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter (am I missing anything? The condensor and points look brand new… probably the last thing that was done to the car so I’m not going to bother with that yet), and it just may be ready to possibly be fired over! :headbang:

excellent, glad everything went smooth.