98 jetta 2.0 problem

well my buddy has this car and hen he turns the key off the car keeps on running the only way to kill it is to pull the coil wire but the power is still to the inside what do you guys think it could be? o you think it could be the ignition switch gone bad?

you just answered what i would say it is. get a new ignition switch. prob need a new key also. but sounds like the problem.

won’t need a new key??? ignition switch is just a switch… at least on mine it is.

that whole car is a pos… one time i was talking to him in a parking lot then all of the sudden the whole interior just started smoking cause the wires grounded out! lol

anyway def needs a switch and key…

I had a 97 2.0 gl back in the day, when I would turn the key off and go to get out the radio would stay playing sometimes. Those cars are nothing but trouble.

i’m not saying a word about electrical problems and volkswagens.

nope.

not one word.

the radio is always hot in those cars

why’s that? my GTI had the same problem?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

smooth edit, bastard…

i was being nice… but everyone fucking knows that the radio is hot on VW’s

my vw is off right now, i can go and turn on the radio without the key!!! wooooo wooooo scary shit

on the mk3 all you had to do was have the silver part where you insert the key on the ignition to stick a little bit and the radio will keep on going.

i had this happen on an audi 90 quattro…

check your fuses. teh fuse that was feeding it on the audi ended up being the fuse that controlled the underhod courtesy light. unhooked that fuse, car stopped. then had to current test the circuits to see what one was broke. so start pulling fuses that are not fuel related, and that may narrow down your circuits to test.

as for vw radios, they are wired hot.

vw wiring is not terrible, could be worse. Any british car ever made is hands down worse than a vw. Jaguar takes the top honor for that distinction hands down, followed closely by all the british roadsters and landrover suvs.

as for reasons why vw wiring sucks, it is mostly old age and weathering on the wires. Interior wise, the wires are run nicely–never had a problem there unless some dumbass fucked the harness up hooking up a radio.

engine bay wise, where they are exsposed to oil and the weather, vw’s protective covering sucks. Need a better shrink tubing, not the cheesey plastic-ie tubing that gets hard and brittle, then breaks. Although newer wiring is wrapped better in a cloth like tape.

most problems vw wiring i see is people hacking the fuck out of harnesses, or wires becoming brittle and breaking inside the plastic “protective” tubing in the engine bay. i know my dash harness was hacked to fuck and my engine bay wiring was brittle/aged in my own car, hence why i rewired it w/ the painless kit.

you have to remove the key dumbass, they all do that!

mine has done it forever. radio will play until the key is removed.

yea def, beat for a 98