'99 Chevy Lumina - ECM?

I have a quick question about the ECM in my mother’s car. Is the ECM replaceable with a junkyard part or is it VIN number specific which means I need to go to the dealership?

thanks,
Jimmy

the PCM will be swappable as long as the junkyard car has the same engine and Transmission gear ratio. You will need to get a CASE learn that can be done with a Tuner or the dealer can do it.

may i ask why you think the vehicle needs a PCM?? In my experience with the W bodies i dont ever recall a PCM going bad, espically the newer design 98+

We are not entirely sure of the problem. The car will constantly display a service engine soon light because of a bad knock sensor. The sensor, connector and wiring have all been replaced but the light didn’t go off. This has been the case since last march when it needed inspected. Our mechanic, and my dad’s friend that owns a garage, managed to inspect the car because the light miraculously went out for a few minutes. He told us that it was the computer that was bad and we have just went by his word since then.

The other things that the car will do is overheat because the secondary fan will not turn on but when you connect current to it, it will run.

as for the KS i actually i dont think that it will set an SES light. The code will be stored, as the KS low voltage but that dosent illuminate the SES

as for the fans have you looked into the relays for the cooling fans??

you need the vin programmed into the pcm or the obd-II test for emissions will flag it and penndot will hunt you down

if the vin doesn’t match the registration the state doesn’t know that you didn’t hook another car up to the emissions machine