99 dodge neon custom turbo help

You know it’s kind of hard to find parts when you don’t even know exact parts you want. There is no mystical “cheap but good quality parts”, and there are reasons why you won’t find exact matching parts for your application.

Seriously do you think everyone that has installed a turbo on their car, wrote up a poorly worded plea for help trying to find parts. Followed by the fact they have no idea what the car can handle.

Neonglh is pretty much a god when it comes to 1st gen neons, there is no magic single link with every part you need. No one is going to hold your hand and point everything out. And most of all you are not going to find every single part you need in an exact fit because those that turbo a SOHC have to put a lot of effort into custom parts/fitting.

There is a reason why kits cost $3k+, not because they are trying to rip you off necessarily. But because it’s not easy to piece everything together, some parts will be custom fitted, and it can’t just be done from one easy to find source. A well assembled kit eliminates all these steps because most of the work has been done already.

You can’t just arbitrarily go and by random parts with out even knowing what you want. If you don’t know what you want how and the heck do you even expect someone else to point out where you need to go.

We are not all trying to be dicks here, but you have to have at least some clue as to what parts you are looking for and go from there. You have posed a question that is impossible to answer at this point. Like everyone else that has done something similiar a lot of work goes into deciding what parts to buy in the first place. However it would seem that you fail to understand that.

If you can’t understand what you need or where to get it from the information on neons.org, you SHOULD NOT be doing this.

If this is your only car, you SHOULD NOT be doing this.

If you have a SOHC and want a cheap build, you SHOULD NOT be doing this.

PS I know of a nice '99 DOHC neon with everything you’d want to start a turbo build with that is for sale for $2k.

Dude if you can’t figure out where to buy the parts then you haven’t done nearly enough research. While you’re searching and reading, keep this bit of wisdom in mind:

“If you can’t afford to push your car off a cliff then you can’t afford to mod it.”

lol @ this thread. Please buy all the parts for this, then when you can’t figure anything out, sell them to me for cheap!

Ebay intercoolers are garbage. Most of the parts you need can be purchased locally through hybrid connection or innovative tuning. If you’re afraid of social interaction, both these companies have websites. Please don’t go to either location and just waste there time, you know exactly what you need, go there, pay for the stuff and then leave. Try to do as little talking as possible, because you’re obviously an idiot.

After you have all the parts, and you realize that you don’t even have an inkling of what to do with them, let them sit around for a while, then sell them to me for my car, at 50% of what you paid.

here are links to all many of the parts you (I) need:

wastegate
http://www.hybridconnection.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=54&products_id=138&osCsid=3865f734374ecadd4f4f90b9b964746b

bov
http://www.hybridconnection.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=54&products_id=148&osCsid=3865f734374ecadd4f4f90b9b964746b

turbo. YES, you NEED this one.
http://www.hybridconnection.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=36&products_id=487&osCsid=5dd42ad8ab2c8a91e7ed45d6249b888f

EGT Gauge:
http://www.hybridconnection.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=78&products_id=214&osCsid=9fc10340fb47af502bd7f829515be875

You also need a timing belt for an R32 skyline GTR. A power enterprise one. I’ll tell you why, later…

Keep the Neon stock and get a project car. Trust us on this.

Front-drive N/A daily-driven single cars are about as bad as you can get for a DIY turbo build up.

www.allchryslerparts.com

Resource for next-to-wholesale pricing for factory parts, like internals, oil pans, etc… Perfect for the SRT swap stuff

Other parts, like turbo’s, fuel system, etc…Browse the for sale adds on these sites. If you can buy stuff used, from reputable people, you will save thousands. After that, check shops like newman said. Innovative, Hybrid, New Era, they will all carry parts that you will need.

Finnaly, there is no huge neon aftermarket world for 1st gens, so learn to weld, or find someone that can weld, because you will need it. There are no charge pipe kids, no direct fit turbo downpipes, you will most likely have to modify your firewall slightly. Also, the stock ecu was not meant to see boost, so you will need a voltage clamp and some sort of rising rate fuel pressure regulator if you want to stick with the stock ecu, else you will need some sort of standalone computer like I ran. www.rsautosport.com has megasquirt for under 500 bucks.

That is all you will get from me. I gave you every tool you could need, now you have to go out and learn. And for a reference, to get my car where it was, I had about 9 grand into it (including the 3 grand cost of the car initially, which I sold parts off of for the swap). There is no way you could do it for less then 4. The expensive parts are not the things that drain the bank. Its the hundreds of little things that you dont account for. Vacuum line, clamps, couplers, gaskets, paying people to weld, flex pipes, etc… These are the thigns that drain the bank.

–mark

Oh yeah, another fun tidbit. Stock SOHC or DOHC internals are good to about 200ft/lbs of torque. MAX. Good luck trying to get “more than 100hp” like you said in your original post. The shitty powdered rods will just fall apart. 200-225whp is about all you can safely make and you may not even get there with a SOHC. No one turbos a SOHC, it’s not worth it.

4k… fuck, that.

you can do it alot cheaper, google…
HomeMadeTurbo, PVC, fernco, Jamestown ice, duct tape, sneakers barNgril Macmastercarr, SSAC hollR

dude, first of all: turboing a car may seem easy. yeah just pick up all the parts u need, slap them on and go fast right??

WRONG!!!

it is a CUSTOM setup. custom means a lot of mechanical creativity and a lot of know how. Take it from some one who is down that road currently. Ive put a lot of work into it and have STILL never driven it.

my suggestion to you is to do simple bolt on mods until you can swing for a better, more moddable car and/or the experience and ability to actually pull off such a big job

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=NOS-05130NOS&N=700+115&autoview=sku

add

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HLY-12-921&N=700+4294925239+4294839053+4294836951+4294908110+4294908400+4294839923+115&autoview=sku

Don’t go over a 100 without upgrading rods. I don’t care what you think you want. If this is your daily, this is your best and cheapest option.

yeah! …and my post too!

Sneakers FTW!!

Hahn sells a kit. Might want to look into that.

len ran 9’s on stock ECU

Just do that (sarcasum)

And then when you blow up your car after this build you can talk to me and ill sell you my neon sitting in the garage.

Take everyones advice, dont mod your only car. My friend did a custom set up and it took alot longer then planned.

Hope all this feedback helps u in ~other~ ways.

**Cliff Notes:
-Buy a second car for cheap.
-Do alot ALOT more research.
-The car will break weither it be a CV joint, a head gasket, turbo leak, and the most annoying…the PCM tune.
-Another thing to take into consideration is, the hardware. Gaskets, nuts and bolts. It cost $300+ for the gaskets to do a cam and/or head swap.

All in all…dont be offended, its just that I’ve been there, and I bet all the people replying have too, modding isnt easy.

RIGHT!!!

Edit: dont listen to me, listen to everyone else, this thread prolly pisses you off because you didnt get a direct answer, but the thruth is that this thread contains alot of good info

are you the same person that was asking these same questions on neons.org. notice how everyone on both forums are basically telling you the same things.
there is no direct source to buy each peice individually…
i’ll give you a little info just because reading all your posts on both forums is starting to piss me off
you own a neon, its your only car, and you cant afford a kit. so i’m assuming you want cheap.
i think the cheapest route would be buying a srt4 turbo/manifold. but that wont bolt up to a sohc head. so you can either buy the adaptor plate or buy a dohc head for about the same price and bolt it onto your sohc block. you’ll have lower compression which is good for boost. and the manifold will bolt on to it. search the for sale forums on neons.org and on srtforums.com until you find something
i bought a brand new srt turbo/manifold for $250shipped
try and find one that comes with the oil and coolant lines
you can run 4lbs off the wastegate, if you want more you need a boost controller lots of places sell boost controllers
then as far as fuel control you can get megasquirt from rs-autosport and buy srt4 injectors again from the for sale forums
but for now just do some searching, maybe read the project logs on neons.org