99 Integra LS cooling issues...maybe?!?!

Alright so I have something really weird going on right now. My temperature guage reads more than three quarters on the heat scale when I’m at idle, but if I rev the engine or drive, the needle rockets back to regular operating temp. Stuck thermostat maybe? Anyone have any ideas? Tried running the heat at idle, doesn’t really bring it down much, if at all.

Check your Grounds on your motor possibly clean them off. is your Fan running? the gauge uses a thermistor referenced to ground. so if you dont have a good groung it might act goofy.

tegs are known for the ground issue. doo eet.

otherwise, ya coudl be thermostat related…

It is definately thermostat related…due to the way the water pipe and thermostat housing sit horizontally on the back of the engine. What happens is: an air bubble gets stuck behind the t-stat making it read higher than the actual coolant temp until you hit the gas, then the coolant flow quickens…and the bubble shoots past the t-stat and the gauge goes down.

Either replace the t-stat and bleed the system, or try just bleeding it first. Honda t-stats typically fail OPEN, so your gauge never appears to get warm.

maybe its just low on fluid?

like when it rockets does it twitch? like or just comes back?

is your fan running?

I actually think its a broken water pump. My fans kick on really late, but I had a obd2 meter hooked up and when the fans turned on, it didn’t bring the temperature down at all. I think it’s the pump because at idle, the water pump isn’t turning out as much coolant as when the engine is spinning fast. Also, when I squeezed my return line to the block, it was empty!!! It eventually filled up, but if you rev the engine with your hand around the line, it pulsates. I gotta get this figured out. Thanks for all your help guys.

I highly doubt it’s the waterpump. If it wasn’t spinning (which is damn near impossible since it’s driven my the timing belt) you’d over heat and your motor would become a boat anchor pretty quickly…

…and if the impeller on the water pump broke you’d have pieces of metal blocking coolant passages all over the place.

+1

If your shit has air in the system it’s going to cause weird problems. Make sure you have the system completely full and bleed all the air out of it. If it still ends up low you are loosing coolant somewhere, either leaking it burning it or boiling over and pissing it out your overflow.

Okay so I’m gonna replace the t-stat and back-flush, because thats cheap. So with the obd meter hooked up, we had the car idle itself up to a coolant temp as high as 220. Then when we revved the motor up to about 2500-3000, the temp slowly went down. Internal air temp was nice and nominal. I’ll let you know what happens.