99 Passat 1.8T Misfire, No Clue

99 Passat with the 1.8T
CEL is blinking, Misfire on No. 2 Cylinder.

Compression is spot on. Swapped both coil pack and plug, no change. Old plug is clean, actually a little cleaner than the other plugs and had a little bit of fuel smell, so it may have been dumping some fuel in at one point but it’s not wet now. I don’t have VAG-COM. Any ideas?

Ignition Control Module. That’s what was wrong with mine, sounds like your problem is identical.

i wouldnt jump straight to icm. check closely on the plug. small hairline crack. or is it fouling out?

majority of the time it is the coilpack/plug. go see someone w/. a cag com, have them go into —engine/check codes/basic settings. under basuc settings monitor groups 14/15/16-- that will show the misire count for total all 4 plugs, and the number breakdown per each cylinder.

Just saying, mine was having the exact same problems as described, replaced coil pack and plug as well, and nothing changed until I replaced the ICM.

sailwhore > j00, nub.

Duh.

JTech finally tested the ICM with a multimeter and that was the problem. Part took 5 minutes to install and it’s back on the road. Thanks for the help guys.

:slight_smile:

So it was the ICM. :hsugh:

lol my thoughts. sry sailwhore. Been bitten by that bastard ICM twice!

cant get tehm all. still willing to bet it is the plug/coil over the icm though. didnt i even sell u a used icm berad? or was that 2 tone?