BMW Guys: Need Help Misfire

I have a 2001 540I that decided to misfire about 2 days after I bought it. I took it back and they changed all of the plugs and a couple of coil packs. On the drive home, misfiring again. Brought it back to Rochester again a few days later and they changed the plugs (coated in oil), and a part that I did not recognize the name of. I guess that the cylinders we filling up with oil hence the misfire. Supposedly it was all fixed so I went out to get it back on saturday. Got it home and on Sunday afternoon driving to the store, the CEL came back on and there was quite a bit of smoke out the exhaust.

Has anyone had anything like this go down? I am probably going to take it to innovative before I go back to Rochester with it for a third time as they are just not getting it right. The service place in Rochester is Eastside Service if anyone has heard of them.

Oil on plugs: BEST case you’re going to need valve seals, but more likely have serious engine damage.

Not on 540i’s. It’s most likely the valve cover gaskets first. If those haven’t been changed, get them done first.

You’re having shitty luck with this car. :frowning:

Wait, I guess I should have asked which side of the plug was coated in oil… I was assuming the inside.

A bad oil separator valve(located in the rear intake manifold cover) will cause these symptoms.

I was told that the CCV was replaced. That might be the part I mentioned that I could not understand the name when he was talking. I just called and asked for write-ups on all of the work they have done. I guess I will know soon.

Yeah, I didn’t see the part where he said it was spitting smoke today. You’re probably correct. Oil sitting on the plugs/coil packs causing a misfire. Oil out the exhaust… definitely not valve covers hahaha.

A leaky valve cover WILL eventually find its way into the combustion chamber and also cause a missfire. If its a plastic valve cover it can be warped and leaking can continue regardless of changed gasket. Are all grounds connected properly to the coils? find out which cyl is misfiring and swap coils to see if the misfire fallows the coil. were the boots changed with the coils? this can also be an issue.

Yeah, all boots changed. I will have them try to move the coils around, that is a good suggestion.

Yikes. It def sounds like its burning oil, have you been monitering consumption ? Id prob try and have them do a leak down/compression when you go back.

How do the plugs look after they replaced the ccv? Did they replace the hoses too?

What cylinders are misfiring? Those intake manifold gaskets leak all the time and can cause misfires due to the air leaks it causes.

Bump for results. Your post in Justin’s ad reminded me of this and I was curious to see what it was.

There is an oil separator valve that is located behind the timing chain. The poor guy had to tear my car right down to change a $30 part. Took him about 8 hrs, but it has been fine ever since. Turns out that part was cracked on the top and was causing oil to squirt in two of the cylinders. What a disaster.

Hows the car drive now ?

Great. Everything seems really tight. I do need to lower it a bit, but it handles quite well and has okish power as it sits.

You can do a burnout at the spring meet.

Fuck yeah <3333 Burnout driver for hire!!!

Wow that’s too bad. I’m assuming the dealer in Rochester where you bought this from had to do the work?

The dealer didn’t have a tech that he trusted to so it so he sent it to an import shop and paid them to do the work. I actually feel bad for how much $$ he lost on this car. Between my trade, purchase price and the amount of work that they did on the vehicle, assuming they bought it below wholesale they still lost over $2k on this.

Now that is scary