A/C working after sr install??

I was looking on the FA site earlier and saw a thread on AC and was wondering if anyone here had/has any experience with getting their AC to work after doing an SR swap.
The FA thread was dealing with an S13 Sr into an S14 car. But was wondering if this is an avoidable/fixable problem. They basically suggested that you use both ECU’s or take it to some guy in the US who had found a fix for it.

I’m assuming that this is not a problem for S13 into S13 because I am a panzy and demand my AC.

thanks for any and all input. :salut:

Actually as far as S13-S13 goes there are two options.

If you use a S13 Redtop you can mount your current A/C compressor BUT it only holds on by 2 bolts so not that secure. Some people make brackets.

A S14 Blacktop will not mount the existing A/C compressor. You will have to use the compressor that comes with the motor and redo the A/C lines to match up.

It’s been awhile since I did my swap and there may be more alternatives now.

what about the black top? same deal? or can i use the ac that came with my sr?

What Blacktop? S13 or S14? The S14 BT to a S13 chassie I know people have been getting the A/C to work I forgot how I know it’s a pain in the ass.

Heavy Throttle will make the AC work with their S14 SR wiring harness service but the way they do it sucks ass, they just power the compressor all the time AC is on, bypass all the safety switches. On a hot day in stop and go traffic you’ll end up blowing a line. At least that’s what happend on the car we used the HT harness in.

I now have someone else do my harnesses, he does them right, but is slow :slight_smile:

So there’s two parts to the AC, getting it physically hooked up (lines, compressor etc) and getting the wiring right. Wiring is only an issue on the S14 SR’s with S13’s it just works.

-Martin.

Thanks for the input guys.
So other than the AC difficulty, is/are there any other semi vital equip that need special work to get working when doing swaps S13-S13, S13-S14??
I was aware of issues with putting SR into 89-90 240’s, but not with things not working like the AC for S13 sr-S14.

Thanks again :slight_smile: :!:

i have an 97 s13 blacktop most like from an rps13 … it came with AC but im not sure how easy it is to hook it up to my 94 convertible…

I have a 1998 S13 blacktop going into a 93 Hatchback, and no the KA compressor does NOT line up on the SR at all. I even drilled the mounting holes out and tried for 3 hours to get it to line up, even if it did the compressor would of been way too far back for the belt to line up.

SO

I discharged the lines and left them and the bracket, and im taking the SR compressor because its lighter and taking it to a AC shop to have custom lines made and re charged.

Its only a Redtop that the AC lines up on.

damn i guess i’ll have to get an air conditioning shop to fab some lines for me… thx man

ok just have no AC, It works for me

^^^^ easy for you to say. Some of us have toiled in the hell of no A/C cars in summertime Toronto traffic. Once you have seen the light, you cannot go back to the darkness. I am an A/C panzy, if its an option then I want it.
And if thats the only thing to be aware of when doing certain swaps then to be forewarned IS to be for armed(???)