A couple turbo questions.

I picked up a spare engine for my car, and I’m looking at turboing it. The kids on the Scion board aren’t exactly the greatest sources of information, and I know next to nothing about this kind of stuff. Here goes:

1. GT2554R. Yes? No? All the manifolds I’ve seen have a T25 flange, and this looks like a good turbo for a 1.5L motor. I am not looking to make a ton of power; Minimal lag, daily drivability > a few more psi.

2. Cast vs Tubular manifold. Cast is WAY cheaper. Is this because it’s garbage? No idea here.

cast manifold is more reliable IMO for your application it should work fine.
what does your motor rev to? you can even pick up a t 28 for upgrade will work on t 25 flange

what are your goals?

Honestly best all around turbo I’ve seen is the evo3 16g the spool is great and you can make alot of power from them, plus there cheap as hell can find them anywhere I have like 5 at my shop, do a cast manifold tubular are nice but they crack alot and since the car sounds like your dd reliability is key

x2 on the evo3 16g. But you will want to go bigger eventually. 20g or 50trim is my reccomendation so you dont waste money on a smaller turbo first then upgrade it later.

If you cant find a GT28rs, then go GT2871r. Boom, done.

i’d probably be happy with 120-130hp (at the wheels) and minimal lag.

i’d need a second engine to spool that, wouldn’t i?

i only have a 1.5L

Just pm Quik!

before you even think about slapping a turbo on, what are your options for engine management?

Lol if your not looking for much more the gt28 is definately one of the best options. T25 is what comes stock on 2g dsms as well as a “ball bearing” version comes stock on s13 sr20’s i believe. I thought you had a tc and had the 2.4 my bad

x2

You wouldn’t believe all the guys clamoring on the Jeep boards about how great it would be to turbo the 4.0 straight 6 wondering why so few people have done it. What most of them don’t realize is that there are no good options for engine management, and that is why so few people have done it.

If you can’t fuel it and tune it properly, you won’t be able to do much with the setup.

Pizzas getting cold before they reach their destination??

Can always go Megasquirt.

I’ve seen that the HKS FCON works. I don’t really know what my other options would be.

You’re getting pretty old… I want to make sure I can outrun your Hoverround when the time comes.

I would never put an AFC style controller on my daily, its such a hack. Look into more options. See if someone can chip your ecu or reflash it somehow. Megasquirt is always an option, but when emissions time comes around, youre screwed. If they make AEM EMS for your car, the same thing applies.

E more I look into this, the more I want to buy another (already fast) car and keep this as a DD.

greddy emanage wont work?

As far as getting it turbo ed is the question i would say it may lead to some problems like problems with engine such as hairline crack, car leak Well, fuel economy with a four cylinder turbo is just as bad as a large six.