A few brake Q's

I’m doing the 180sx brake upgrade this spring. I’m looking for some pads that I won’t need to replace too often, but will still give me some good stopping power on the street and on the track. I’ve been looking at the Hawk lineup. Anyone have experience with them?

Any other brands I should take a look at. I’m not terribly concerned with them being loud, as long as they don’t drive me insane.

The stock brakes will be kept on the rear, should I upgrade those pads as well?

My car is my daily driver more than anything. I don’t think I need to get slotted or drilled rotors for the 4-5 track days I’ll be at this year. Is there much diff between the OEM Altima rotors and say Brembo blanks? I haven’t checked into the difference in price yet.

Since I will have the brakes all off, is it worth it to pick up some SS lines? Again, I haven’t checked into prices yet.

Thanks in advance for your advice. :slight_smile:

Go and get some PBR ceramic pads and some brembo blanks from partsource. Seriously. This is a really good brake upgrade if you’re strapped for cash. Huge difference over stock.

PBR pads on any application is pretty good. Do all the brakes, front and rear. Made a huge difference on my car. While you’re at it, replace the guide pins too. It’ll save you grief later on.

Sorry Dave, but I can’t answer any of your question. I do have a question of my own though, and would prefer to ask it here rather than starting a new thread.

If I have an R33 master cylinder, and R33 front calipers, will I be able to use rear calipers from an 91 300ZX TT? I’m fairly sure that I’d be able too, but I don’t know much about these things.

Umm just so everyone is clear PBR is the same pad as AXXIS.

I am using the PBR ceramics, They are nice but i think i am changing to metalmasters becasue they don’t have the bite i am looking for.
And let me know dave because i have never had a problem with the 30 dollar rotors that are made by Brembo but i have warped my official brembo blanks.

Dave, just get some hawk pads all the way around with some SS lines and flush the entire brake system of old brake fluid and you should be good. I never had any problems with braking at the autocross with my 180SX brake. Im running normal street pads all around.

The $30 rotors made by Brembo, is that just what you get when you order OEM ones from Partsource.

Does anyone have experience with any of the Hawk pads? I think I would be going with the ceramic of HPS.

I can vouche for Hawk HPS pads. I’ve been using them for 2+ years and I think they are great. They are supposed to be better than PBR/Axxis (which I haven’t tried), and are definitely better than KVR carbons.

I haven’t tried Hawk’s ceramic pads yet, and I may upgrade my fronts to Hawk’s HP+, which have more agressive bite but you take a hit on noise and dust.

Not to highjack this thread but…

What are the biggest brakes i can get with keeping my 114.3 bolt pattern?
I drive a CA Silvia and i’ve read about the z32 upgrade but that requires you to change bolt pattern and i already have rims for my 114.3 bolt pattern.

You don’t NEED to have 5 lug if going with the Z32 brakes. Just have them drilled to 4x114.3

Unless you are pushing big numbers, you really dont need z32 upgrade. Its an expensive over kill…

but Fagio … i mean Flavio said it pretty good, only for few track days in summer, get SS and get the system flushed … mos def. Makes huge difference

hawks HPS or HP+ pads and powerslot rotors. SS lines if you’re really hard on them all the time. if u want even more consistency, u could try power slot cryo-treated rotors.

I found the Hawk HP+ to be too noisy for street use. Awesome bite for track events/autoX but too damn noisy for a daily driver.

:E :E :E :E :E :E :E

You know what’s ironic? Stock Z32 brakes are underkill on a… Z32. :rolleyes:

I just put the ceramic PBR pads and Brembo rotors in the front of the pathy, wow i never expected such a change.

thanks rob :E

You know what’s ironic? Stock Z32 brakes are underkill on a… Z32. :rolleyes:[/quote]

well ofcourse, z32 is a boat, needs freightliner brakes :slight_smile:

:E

the pbr’s and brembo’s are great street brakes.