A Few Pics Of My Trans Am Rebuild

Nice clean parts.

383 stroker…N/A; no bottle, no leaf blower, and no hair dryer…for now. My goal is to get as close as possible to 500 RWHP, and still have good street manners.

Heads: AFR Mongoose 225

I’m afraid the only pics of the caah show it still perched on my lift…

:tup: should be mean for sure!

Yepper…I’ve never tried welding stainless

Nice rear end :tup:

Yeah…it takes some getting used to…I swear it came out from under a dump truck compared to the OEM 10-bolt…

What is in it? I had a spool in mine :banghead:… that didn’t last long

Stock weight vs. Strange 60 was like 45# difference without a spool. But, its so worth it when you pretty much don’t have to worry about launching with slicks, ever :eekdance:

HOT.

Truetrac…

I think 3.55:1, …my memory isn’t as good as it was 30 years ago…

What other shop?

It’s the same block, but with some of the issues after it was last running, I tore it completely down. NAPA “freshened up” the hone, knocked out the cam bearings, and hot-tanked it. I’ve reassembled the short block myself (including installing the cam bearings), plastigaged the crank and installed the new mains, and popped the cans back in. I deep-sixed the Total Seal gapless rings, and went with a set of their less radical rings. My thumbs were tender for a week after filing those bich’s, but that’s what I get for doing all of them in one night. Also went with a new set of ARP rod bolts. The amount of torque you need to stretch them (.005-.0055) is, ummm, well, let’s just say I’m still missing one of my testicles.

Then F.A.S.T. just HAD to come out with their faaaaaaabulous 92mm intake & stainless fasteners, so I just HAD to have one. The Jesel J2K shaft mount rockers are sick. I could whack the OEM rocker stands against the side of my bench and shatter 'em…the Jesel rocker stands would probably dent my bench. Stuck with hydraulic roller lifters…Comp R.

The Spec clutch turned out to be a POS, so I sprung for the Textralia. Also ditched the OEM 10-bolt for a Dana 60…This summer, I don’t think I’ll have to worry about mounting a set of stickies.

The chassis/suspension stuff? One thing lead to another…about 20 times.

So when are you starting it? Its been down for quite some time now.

any reason why you chose a 383, over say, a 408? I don’t hear many LSX’s going with that displacement.

thought it was 3.73s gears. Order was the same as mine :slight_smile:

Fuggin sexy build. Getting it done the right way.

Awesome!!

Git-r- done Ang:)

LS1/LS6 strokers - 374, 383, and 393 (4.100" crank might fit)

You are limited on cubic inches in the LS1/LS6 block because of the stock sleeves and the bore size. The blocks are factory specs around 3.898", pistons are available in 3.902, 3.905 & 3.907. Max over size on stock sleeves is less ten thousandths of an inch

For comparison with a 4.00" bore (LS2, LQ9) you can build 392, 402, 412 & 415 (4.125 stroke) depending on sleeve clearance

:tup: to being one of the more wealthier peeps on the board

That looks like one pissed off WS6. Awesome build. Keep us posted please.