A House v. not a fixer upper

I have been looking low and high for about a month now. The internet, craigslist, my realtor, other realtors and word of mouth.

If you know of anyone who would consider selling their house, or needs to be pushed off the fence…let me know. I’m hoping maybe there is a ‘For Sale By Owner’ on one of your streets. Who knows, I’m getting desperate!

I have a few requirements. They are as follows…

I will only live in/consider one of the following zip codes; 14221, 14228, 14051, 14068, 14032, and 14031.

I need at a minimum, 3+ bedrooms.

I need a basement, I know that 99% of the homes around here have one, but I’ve found a couple without them.

I’d prefer atleast 1 full and one half bath. If the right house comes along, I would consider just 1 bath.

I need atleast a 2 car garage. No exceptions.

I would prefer central A/C, however this is not a necessity. If it doesn’t have A/C, it NEEDS to have Forced Air/Heat.

I am okay with any style, Tudor, Colonial, Split-level etc. However, I will NOT buy a raised ranch. I am open to a standard “Ranch” but it would have to be perfect and the right fit (i.e. - larger than 1,500 sq ft).

I will not consider a house which is being sold as a “short sale”.

I’m looking to spend less than $250,000. The less money, the better. The more expensive the house and the least amount of taxes is obviously better. I haven’t found anything I like under $150,000 yet. Everything I have looked at, has been in the $150,000 - $200,000 range and there has been something seriously wrong with every house. :frowning:

Thanks in advance bro’s. :tup:

if you want to add 14224 there is a house off of center road , quick access to the thruway, west seneca school district, 2.5 car garage, inground pool, i think it is a 1800sq ft ranch, 3 bedrooms, completely updated kitchen. and 1.5 bath all updated, full finished basement. i think it’s @ 230k.

obv not your location of what you’re looking for, but it is the total “man-pad” lol. it’s on realityusa. i think taxes are just under 6k

You don’t want to buy an apt complex do you? or a house in brockport? lol

Include 14623 and I got a great place for you!

This one? http://www.realtyusa.com/property/property.asp?PRM_MLSNumber=383105&PRM_MlsName=BuffaloNY&VAR_AgentCode=&VAR_OfficeCode=

no love for niagara county? damn…

theres a bunch of houses in pendleton in your price range, and it actually is a great area. a little quieter then everywhere else, but within 15 minutes of everything. theres also a bunch of houses that ive seen that are defineatly fixer uppers that would sell way under your price range, though i havent seen forsale signs yet.

It took me just about 3 months to find a house. After looking at so many we were thinking it was hopeless then we walked into one and pretty much instantly knew it was the one. You have to be patient. Good luck, be smart and don’t just jump into one.

Good houses go quick, everyone and their brother is looking for the same house you are.

A realtor with the inside track and making yourself available at any time, ready to make a decsion is gonna get you the farthest.

X…

This. The house I am in is the second one I walked into and it was on the market for less than a day before my offer was written.

Yeah my house was on the market for three days and accepted four offers.

What the crap are you talking about? You could easily build what you’re looking for within your $250k budget.

Id venture to say the requirements he listed are the min he wants out of ~150,000. So he would expect much more for ~250k. I keep watching the neighborhood I want my next house to be in(in the city obv) but looks like I cant even get a fixer upper for ~350k. Housing is funny right now around here. I really think that nice houses are demanding some decent coin and selling quick. But as they say Location, location, location!

Considered building new? Depending on design you may be in the ballpark. I am a design / build contractor. Let me know if you would like to discuss. Thanks.

Property is very expensive in those zip codes FYI

Is the issue that you can’t find any houses in your budget, or are there just not many houses in the market to choose from?

You’ve got to realize that your must-have list, or your perceptions on interior style might not be reasonable. Either that, or your budget needs to be higher.

Welcome to being a first-time homebuyer. The only way to get your cake and eat it to, is to pay for it.

My suggestion is to stick to your guns on location, but be more flexible on things that you can change/add on/fix later on. If your budget is 250k, but your looking at houses that are under 200, then try and get your loan amount bumped up so (assuming the bank would allow it, which they may not) that you can do an immediate renovation (maybe even before you move in).

Yeah, maybe a POS Ryan Home.

The only builders I would consider ever building with are Tesmer, Forbes etc. @ $180/sq ft they are right now taking orders on 2,500+ sq/ft only. I also don’t really want to build my first home. Not knowing what I want in a house, I feel I would omit certain things that I would find out later down the line I would have to add. I’ll build my second home.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

No way. I prefer to be on the other side of the creek.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

There really isn’t a whole lot that I’m IN LOVE with on the market right now. For what I’m spending, I should be able to find something that I like enough to move in turn-key. I’m going to keep looking around and see what I can find. I don’t have to buy one immediately.

no it was this one:

http://realtyusa.com/property/property.asp?VAR_SearchCriteria=selRegion%3Dbuffaloniagara%26PRM%5FAddress%3D%26VAR%5FPropertycity%3DWest%2BSeneca%26PRM%5FZipCode%3D14224%26PRM%5FMLSNumber%3D%26PRM%5FMinimum%5FPrice%3D%26PRM%5FMaximum%5FPrice%3D250000%26VAR%5FPriceChanged%3D%26PRM%5FMinimum%5FBeds%3D3%26PRM%5FMinimum%5Fbaths%3D%26search%3D%2BSearch%2B&VAR_PropertyPagingList=377560|BuffaloNY%3B377664|BuffaloNY%3B381399|BuffaloNY%3B382710|BuffaloNY%3B377555|BuffaloNY%3B382671|BuffaloNY%3B383105|BuffaloNY%3B385125|BuffaloNY%3B376907|BuffaloNY%3B378620|BuffaloNY%3B380833|BuffaloNY%3B379902|BuffaloNY%3B378224|BuffaloNY%3B382179|BuffaloNY%3B384798|BuffaloNY%3B379065|BuffaloNY%3B374255|BuffaloNY%3B378996|BuffaloNY%3B381601|BuffaloNY%3B384328|BuffaloNY&VAR_CurPropertyPage=1&VAR_MaxPropertyPage=5&PRM_MlsNumber=378224&PRM_MlsName=BuffaloNY&VAR_SearchType=&VAR_RecordCount=100

I think I viewed @ 25 houses - mine was on the market for 6 days, the day I put in an offer there was two others on it.

If you find the right house - jump on it.

If you’re not already, get pre-approved for a mortgage so that when you do find the right house you can make an offer immediately. Most realtors won’t consider an offer on a high-demand house from someone who isn’t preapproved. lol I made my offer the day before the house actually went on the market.

Instead of asking what you want, perhaps what is it that you DIDN’T like about any of the homes you’ve viewed thus far?