A House v. not a fixer upper

Sometimes I think you view me as someone who rode the short bus in high school. I’m pre-approved @ 4.5%, I have 4 pre-approval letters printed up, ready to rock. One for $150k, one for $175k, one for $200k and one for $250k, I’ve been bringing them to the showings, in the increment that I need. :tup:

you could by a nice ferarri or lambo for 250k. seems like a better investment.

A couple houses I looked at, had structural problems with the brick on the outside. I don’t mind dropping $$$$ to make a house better aesthetically or function better, but to drop $20,000 on the garage because the builder didn’t use a strong enough garage lintel, doesn’t make sense to me.

One house I really liked and was pretty cheap was in the wrong side of town (West Amherst) and too close to the Amherst Waste Water Treatment Plant.

One house had a stunning inground pool, but the gunite was dog shit. Again, I don’t even want a pool…I’m certainly not going to buy a house with one that can not be used.

Just stupid things. I don’t mind bad wallpaper, cheesy cabinets, 90’s mirrors in the living room and unfinished basements or bad decks. In my mind, by spending money on upgrading things along those lines, I’m getting something in return that I’ll be able to enjoy. To spend $200,000 on a house and have to use any negotiating $$$ or $$$ after the sale to fix the sagging garage opening or re-gunite the pool is worthless. Maybe I’m just picky, but if those things are shot, what else hasn’t been kept up or designed poorly?

My vote would be to omit the whole garage requirement and look for a place that has the space to build one if it doesn’t have one already.

A 2 car garage isn’t going to be anything special anyway. Find the right house with land to spare and just build a proper garage, there isn’t that much to a garage, you could have the Amish build one pretty cheap. Just something to consider.

I’m curious as to where exactly this was. I grew up very close to the plant, and people make that area out to be a lot worse than it really is these days.

Proper planning and working with the right designer can alleviate the thought of “forgetting” what you want. If you can’t find something you like already built, make it what you want. If you start from zero, you know how everything was built and don’t have to worry about someone who cut corners you don’t know about. I had a customer I worked with who contracted me for a 3500 sf. addition and whimsical as it was, he spent a the time planning what he wanted, we worked on what was good and bad, and we built his “castle”. I had to scale down some of his outlandish ideas, but in the end it all worked out perfectly.

I want an attached garage. Personal preference. I don’t want anything over an acre of land.

Just because a home needs repair on one spot does not mean the whole house is shit.

Do you have a realtor? Mine took care of everything, I just needed to show up for the showing. Plus you get to see houses before they are publicly on the market. Don’t forget that just because you see something off with the house/garage that it might not even be a big deal. Find a good home inspector or even someone in the field you trust and have them look at it. I went back a 2nd time to a few houses that I liked to have things checked out. The house I bought I went back 3 times, twice by myself and once with my brother who is a contractor before I made an offer. Looking for a house was one of the most exciting, frustrating, and disappointing experiences I have been through.

Word, they are nice, especially in the winter.

Attached for the cars in the winter, but detached for the work shop so the woman can’t just pop her head in to bother you all the time. lol

I would hope they did for the thousands of dollars you paid them to wander around some homes.