A new sub 4kn back protector

The Tyonic FEEL 3.7, Similarly priced with the Forcefield Sub4. These are the only two on the market that are CE2 and is rated at under 4KN. I like how the Tyonic can flex with the body from side to side and is tested to -20c for winter action sports. However, unlike the Forcefield, this is not reusable.

I might get their SEE+, which is CE2 but not sub 4kn, for street as I am shopping for one, that thing looks like it is very comfy and super light.

Not affiliated with revzilla, just wanted to share their video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQjQtEQyB9g[/ame]

it actually looks pretty sweet.

I might be able to tolerate this one(comfort) actually given the side deflection allowance. I have a fucked up back to begin with and it makes wearing these things difficult for extended periods. A spine protector is definitely on the books for this year given that I’m looking to get gear together for a bike purchase in the future.

Take a look at their SEE+, that one got the smallest foot print I’ve seen for a CE2 protector, and that is the one I am consider for street in place of using the OEM CE insert that came with my jacket.

I’m going to look into this. I have to try one on before buying though. My spine is all fucked up from when I busted shit up during a snowboarding accident many years ago and now my shoulder blades dont sit the same.

footprint on safety gear never really bothers me comfort wise. A wider variant may actually be more comfortable if it doesn’t fall between my SB’s as much as a narrower version may. I had some spine gear for DH mounting biking in the past and it was narrow enough that i could pinch it between my shoulder blades during a hit and it would bruise the fucking shit out of me.

Someone offered to let me borrow a bike this summer for some riding fun, but I don’t have any gear to safely and comfortably(in a mental state) to just drive to his house tonight and take it home :’(

I got my SEE+ yeaterday. Here is a quick review I posted on Revzilla.

My only experience of back protectors are limited to my first one I got, Forcefield Sub-4, exclusive for track use. So I will mainly be comparing The Tryonic SEE+ to that.

Finally decided to replace all those level-1 “back protector” that came with my jackets for street use. I was looking for something light, with a slim profile and level-2 certified and the SEE+ seems to met all my criteria well. First thing I noticed about the SEE+ is how light it is and how the articulated design moves with my body well; Especially compare to my Sub-4 and because of that, the SEE+'s harness can be and is much more snug and form fitting. The harness is very well designed and provide lots of adjustability.

The hard-shell design works best if you are the kind of rider that wore back-protectors without a jacket (tsk-tsk). It provided some added puncture resistance and slide-ability but the trade off is being a hard-shell BP, it usually meant it is crash-and-trash kind of gear; in addition the gaps between the articulated parts might get caught on stuff when you are sliding on your back wondering “did that car just cut me off?” or “I knew I shouldn’t be pushing it so hard on my out lap”. Hey, but at least you don’t have to feel and look like you are wearing a rubber floor mat on your back. (cough Forcefield cough).

While the level-2 rated at 7.7Kn might not be as low as the Forcefield Sub-4 or the FEEL 3.7, but it will be far superior than 99% of the stuff that came with your jacket. The low temp rating with be a feature that is unique to this line.

I think for the price of $150, it is a great product and provide some added insure to protect yourself from drivers that are “sharing” the road with you…ALL OF THEM.

Cliff notes:

• light and move with your body.
  • form fitting, great harness.
  • Does not feel like wearing a rubber floor mat.
  • hard-shell construction = crash-and-trash.
  • Take a look at Forcefield Sub-4 or Tryonic FEEL 3.7 for better Level-2 rating.

I would add, for a BP, cooling-wise it works pretty good albeit under a mesh jacket. My experience is it max cooling is when you are at low 1/2 to 3/4 tuck, that is when airflow being drawn out the most via the built-in channels on the body side of the BP to exhaust holes to the outside of the BP; the slimer profile helps. Just don’t expect it to feel like it is not there, at the end of the day, you ARE wearing a piece of EPS foam on you back.