Back Protector and/or Chest Protector On The Street - Anyone Do It?

Every year I seem to add more protection to my riding gear lol

So this year I’m planning on going with a more street friendly back protector that I can wear on every ride (like the A* Bionic Air) and maybe a chest protector (just a simple chest plate like the A* one). Links: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=10113
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=2829

So does anyone else wear a back/chest protector on the street? Even if you don’t, do you think the additional protection is worth the added uncomfortability?

The Bionic Air is CE lvl 1 certified, which is a step down from more traditional back protectors which are usually lvl 2 certified.

Do you think a lvl 1 certified back protector will offer sufficient protection for the street?

Thanks guys

I only use my standalone back protector at the track. All my street jacket have CE certified protector built in.

More protection is always better than less if you ask me. If you also or plan to do track days, shop for something that is CE2 certified. Also take a look at Forcefield or Knox.

If I had the cash, I’d be all about a back & chest protector. I’m in full leather when ever I ride.

Thanks, I’ve already got an older model A* lvl 2 back protector, but it’s stiff as hell, bulky, and hot. I hate wearing it on the street (though its rare that i do, only on the most seriously fast rides)

Leather pants too?

I seriously neglect my lower body. I wear regular jeans and that’s it. I will probably get some knee protection in the near future. I can’t wear leather pants though, feels too hot and constricting, but that’s definitely the best protection for your lower body.

Indeed

You get used to it once you break in the pants it isn’t so bad. But, the protection it offers is worth the slight feeling of slight restriction.
My pants feel a little undersized even though I ordered a size bigger from A*

Totally worth wearing you never know what could happen. Old picture, I have since scuffed up my suit:lol

I wish i did when i hit the tree a few years back. Would have saved: 4 broken ribs, my spleen, kidney, and the back trama I had for 3 weeks.

I can 100% say NOT having it on if/when the time comes that its needed is way more uncomfortable than wearing it everyday!

I definitely have to ride with you guys next year as I typically seem to be the only one wearing gear ^ :rofl

While I haven’t used a back protector for the street I’ll likely look into getting one this year myself.

I have used a Forcefield on the track before but it’s an entirely different beast comfort wise when you have 1 piece leathers on.

Let me know what you decide on getting.

I have an Icon stryker vest that I wear with my jacket and don’t find it uncomfortable at all. The shoulders can be a little awkward, I definitely suggest trying it on with your jacket if possible. If your jacket is tight this may push it over the edge.

This?

It seems like a decent protection under a jacket but would seem bulky.

What makes me rage is when I see people wearing a similar version of it, just over a t-shirt

Bro just man up and be in a t-shirt of you’re trying to protect your body wear a damn jacket. :banghead

I hold more respect for people that wear no gear at all than the people that pick and chose. Tshirt and gloves? Who are you kidding? Jacket and no gloves and sneakers? really?

I wear all leather all of the time. I am looking at a back protector for next season, and boots. My girlfriend is scared out of her mind on the bike… so I told her I’d get her a back protector/jacket/possibly pants by spring. I have a lot of shopping to do.

If you want to wear jeans, get some kevlar jeans. Riding boots are must IMO and I wear a knee/shin guard when I am not riding to work.

Jeans is the only piece of gear I still skimp out on (IE stay in Jeans).

I know about the kevlar alternatives but they simply cover abrasion protection for ass cheeks and knees, which isn’t much of my concern.

I dragged my knee once on the street in jeans by mistake, Never will i ride jeans again
they rip open so easy it’s almost like wearing nothing.

lol

If that happened to me I think I would be too excited about having just dragged a knee on the street to be pissed about ripping my jeans

:number1
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p282/HiSpeed48/2741911-3f_1.jpg

I was more of a “holyshit” moment for me:rofl
btw the person wearing the sliders have them on wrong must be an EBAY photo.

personally gonna get some real boots and maybe knee protectors to wear under my riding jeans (kevlar reinforced “draggin” brand)

I’d like to get some hip protection to wear under em too, but being a big guy, not sure if that’ll work out :lol

I recommend SIDI Votice I love them Gone down in them twice you can’t even tell. Also parts are replaceable.

A* sells a relatively cheap padded compression shorts if you don’t need them to be CE certified. Those from the looks of it is not very bulky; which is what I am thinking of getting to wear under my leather for next season in addition to a chest plate, then my full track gear will be complete.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NMAaG74K2M[/ame]

thanks.

currently bidding on a set of sidi adventure rains. its a crossover boot, but i like the look and would rather have the lugged sole for walking around over the smooth street boots

definitely want to go with sidi though. seems like the best quality

the A* stuff doesnt come big enough for me :frowning: same with knox. I might try some icon strykers.

Just an fyi, the waterproof riding boots get hottt in the summer. I had a pair of A* SMX Gore-Tex waterproof boots and my feet would be on fire in the summer. But even my new ventilated SMX boots feel a bit hot in the summer, so idk maybe its just me

I rly don’t like wearing boots at all though, but I wear them anyway. I like being able to feel the shifter.