A sad War vet story

http://men.style.com/details/features/landing?id=content_9737

:frowning: kind of depressing, but really shows how strong PTSD can be

:frowning: A guy I worked with every single day in Baghdad killed himself two months after we got back.

i ETSā€™d 6 hours before Ft Hood, (1st cav and 4th ID) went on stop loss. my entire unit was fresh cut (18/19yrs old) as far as lower enlisted and were a FSB unit for 1/66th armor who were on the front line, and took Sadam International Airport. quite a few didnā€™t come back and the rest were a mess that came back.

Damn. I canā€™t imagine having to re-adjust to ā€œnormalā€ life after something like that. :frowning:

Terrible. My brother said it was tough getting used to ā€œnormalā€ life even after BT.

:(ā€¦ my main source of clients is WWII vets and Vietnamā€¦ it freaks me out when they show me their pictures and tell me their stories. :frowning:

Really sad, and makes you wonder what can be done to help people like him. This guy had the support of his family (at least until near the end), his church, psychiatrists, prescription meds and support groups. Ultimately he still lost his battle.

I was with 1st cav in northern baghdad! They were a good unit compared to 25th inf who relieved them.

Ugh why did I read this thing on a Monday.

i couldnā€™t read it all, started the 2nd page and closed it.

i volunteered to deploy with 1st cav with a unit that needed a M984E1 wrecker operator to Kuwait, my CO denied the transfer. The CO of that unit was a drinking buddy of mine @ the gay bar off post my bi civi g/f hung out at. whatever, free drinks and all the strait chicks you can handleā€¦ lol. they got back, 2 weeks later they went as the first string over to Iraq, guess they were there just short of 2 years.

from article
ā€œI killed a lady, a mother,ā€ he told Matina. ā€œI donā€™t understand how I could become someone who would do thatā€

from a good movie
ā€œYou just donā€™t lead them as much.ā€

Word I was stuck on the 15month troop surge shit. When I got back I felt really out fo place for 1-2 months then I was depressed all winter and got kinda fat. Now a little over a year later I feel ok aside from bad nightsweats that are getting somewhat better as well.

being a war soldier is fucked up

:clap:

I would never wish a mental illness on anyone. I have been around it my entire life and it really eats away at even the best of people.

My mother works at the VA and my dad is a Vet, its really sad to hear stories worse than this :confused:

Same website, different story.

http://men.style.com/details/features/full?id=content_6636&pageNum=1

You guys that have served, thank you :tup:

the New Haven campus VA was gut wrenching to sit in and waitā€¦ ton of gulf war guys with lymph node cancer/ Gulf war syndrome from DU exposure. i never want to go in that hospital again. the buffalo location is dirty enough that it distracts you from all the guys limping around. i have family that works on the 9th floor/hospice ward.

what was/is causing the lymph node caner?

Huffing computer cleaner :mamoru:

In the Vietnam guys I believe it was the Agent Orange and other chemicals that were causing all of the cancer in people from that time. When I had Clinical at the VA there was all sorts of older men there with cancer from that shit.

Oh, I thought it was the current/younger vets.