ABS Light On

Just called autozone about checking my computer to see why the ABS light is on. They said that they cant read the computer for the ABS light. Is that bullshit? I have read that you can scan somehow for what the issue is triggering the ABS light (ex bad left front sensor). This is on a 01 Ford Ranger. Is my only option just to take to the stealership.

i know with the vw you can. i would assume ford can too, but probably not with a generic obd2 reader.

I think the majority of the time when you have an ABS light going off its because of a faulty sensor. I really don’t know what else it checks for other than the actual pulsing of the brakes when ABS kicks in.

otc scanners what autozone has cant read abs codes

Yeah I know its probably a sensor but theres 4 of them and there expensive,

any sugguestions on who has the ability to tell me which one to replace??

Not always a sensor - my mom’s pump was going nuts, I pulled the relay and now the pump is quiet but the abs light is on lol

racerx works at a full service shop iam sure he can be of some service.

Yeah, autozone can’t read the ABS computer, but there are scanners that can. My ABS light has been on with the Expedition for a while now. I had a friend who works for Ford hook it up to the computer and it’s the ABS pump. This was a specific “Ford ABS Module Reader” so you might have to go to the dealer. Personally I’ve never liked ABS so I’m just living with it disabled. I’ll probably replace the pump eventually, before my wife starts driving it as her primary vehicle anyway.

well inspections up this month and I bet they will fail me with a ABS light on, they failed me last time for a license plate light burned out. Looks like this is going to be a PITA to get inspected again.

contact me if you need help with insp.

You need a shop with the scanner that has your vehicle specific data, not a generic OBD2 scanner. Go to the dealer or an independent mechanic that deals with Ford enough to have it.

I’ve never done this on a Ford… but I know on Toyotas, GM’s, and Hondas i’ve backprobed into the wheel speed sensor while the car was off the ground and hooked up my DVOM and spun the wheel to create an AC signal. If theres no signal the sensor is bad.

abs doesnt fail inspection

well thats good, but I still want to fix

Check the brake fluid.

Maybe the ABS just figured out it’s a “lightning” edition :lol:

X…

:funny:

We have the Ford new generation star scan tool at Licata’s Auto Service on Walden in Depew. I would have no problem diagnosing and repairing your problem. We also have the GM tech 2, the Chrysler DRB III, and Snap-On MT-2500. Most full service auto repair shops have the ability to scan most ABS systems w/ the Snap-On or Mac scan tools. The OTC Genisys can do it as well.

What do you mean by the pump going nuts, and what kind of car?

he means the pump was running for no reason, just starting the engine, foot not even on brake, the motor runs