Aftermarket exhaust= ticket?

I just found this out as well as just recieved my exhaust for my v6 tib. So i’m kinda stuck on what to do cos i already have headers so i know it will be loud, and it is dual with 4.25 tips so it looks nothing like stock, so my question is has anyone gotten pulled over just because of their exhaust, or is it not untill youre caught speeding that they add in a ticket for exhaust? Thanks.

i got pulled over for my exhaust, and its stock >_>

they tried to throw it on top of a tint ticket, but i told the officer to suck me off

she did and then threw the ticket away

Of everyones said post count, how many posts are from the “automotive” section? I think that should also somehow be incorporated to find who the quality posters are. So if in the future I were to make a post about how to fix something, or diagnose a problem. I could use the ‘quality’ post count to help determine how good a persons advice may be. When I’m on other boards such as H-T, I do use post count as a slight gauge in someones credibility to help me determine if their advice is shit or good. Just because Joe Schmoe has 10,000 posts with like 25 of them in the auto section, there is a good chance that motherfucker couldn’t tell me how to properly adjust the valves on my head.

WTF???

Anyways

yeah it could happen, especially for imports. Look at Harley’s, some of the loudest things on the road, they will never get tickets for it because its “their sound”. My mustang was fairly loud, but I never got pulled over for it. yet some of the honduh boiz will tell you they have been pulled over pulling out of BTC or Mighty or wherever because of exhaust alone.

The only advice i got on this is put it on to see how lowed it is. I have a complete 2.5in exhuast with an open cat and flowmasters, and it is recorded at 96decibles(or however you spell it) and i have not been pulled over yet.

So hopefully you will be as lucky as me.

exhaust noice is measured rom the side and rear of the vehical at a set distance, seach online for the specifications, then find someone with a DB meter and test your vehical.

depending on what judge you get that day, you might be able to argue that your vehical is within spec, despite “sounding loud” to some cop on the street

make sure you print out the information you find to bring it to court, along with anything you can manage while you test the vehical, and present this info to the DA in a calm PROFESSIONAL manner

just remember the saying “you get more flies with honey…”

in general, exhaust tickets are the “i couldnt find anything else to be a dick about” i rolled around in my grand am for 3 months and just kept telling cops " i have a new muffler at home i just have to get the money to have someone weld it on"

they bought it every time

i’ve gotten exhaust tickets 3 times…not saying its completely related but all 3 times i was originally pulled over for no front plate. as long as your exhaust isn’t obnoxious and u have nothing else for the cop to pull u over for, your USUALLY ok

i got pulled over for my exhaust and it almost got me a dwi. but the o.p. cops are pretty cool, i think they wanted to drive my car so they took it and parked it and drove home -no tix.

There is no DB limit for exhaust noise in NY. The law clearly states anything louder than stock O.E. exhaust. Now if you’re exhaust is at the same DB as a stock exhaust than yeah you’re fine , but what would the point of that be? It’s a shitty vague all-encompasing law that basically gives the cops a reason to pull you over than look for other shit wrong w/ your car.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showpost.php?p=47023&postcount=2

Anyway - yes, aftermarket exhaust is illegal. technically.

i got pulled over at 3am 2 times in 2 weeks by same cop for my exaust … i just padi the one and judge threw other one out 75 isnt to bad

It really comes down to the cop, district, and size of cock up their ass. Oh and dont act like a jackass to a cop us words like “officer” and “sir” in a polite and respectable tone. I have been pulled over several times of many things and an amherst cop told me technically “if its not stock its “illegal””—yah thats right illegal should be in quotations on top of the quotations in the statement. Rule of thumb dont be a dick, usually a cop isnt looking to be an asshole.

I got one in depew by a cheektowaga cop go figure…still have to go to court for it.

So technically then a monroe muffler set up is aftermarket so it is illegal? I know it’s not illegal, but any exhaust not installed be the dealer is “aftermarket”. Lawmakers just need to put a dB limit on this stupid law.

^i agree, there should be a more definitive way of how “illegal exhausts” are differentiated. i think the decibel limit would be a good idea, but how will this be enforced efficiently?

I’d like to see them try that on my 25+ year old vehicles.

i went to driving school because of my exhaust :bloated: so yes, there is a chance you will get pulled over

i have yet to hear of a loud domestic getting a ticket for that…it always seems to be the import’s that get nailed for it…i’ve heard of an EVO getting ticketed for stock exhaust…gayness