Exhaust too big ticket?

So a buddy of mine got pulled over in his Integra yesterday on the Thruway and the trooper gave him a ticket for his exhaust being “too big”. Its a Apexi stainless muffler with a 4" tip.

My buddy asked him what the law was on it being too big, and he said anything bigger that stock is illegal.

He did not say anything about it being too loud, as it is not loud at all, just that is was “too big”.

if it’s just the tip the I don’t believe that would be illegal. There is actually a law that says you can’t put a nonfactory style exhaust on.

Yeah its just the tip. He doesn’t actually care about it. It flanges out from ~3" at the end of the muffler anyway. Were most like going to cut off the tip and just do a 3" tip. He drives the same route to work daily and doesn’t want to get hassled.

I was gonna post that picture too. Just for a second, just to see how it felt.

anything other than oem is illegal

HAHAHAHHAH What the fuck kind of ticket is that.

Have your friend send you a pic and post it. fuz out his info or what ever. I want to see what they actually wrote it for. My cop friend laughed at me when asked him about this. We can look up the code for it. should be an 8XX.X or somethig like that for the V&TL number.

true, ish.

But if that was the case, Every automotive parts place would be selling illegal parts. And in this case the aftermarket “OEM” replacement $150 specials hanging on the rack at Napa would be illegal.

Yes, but as long as packaging claims it is “not street legal” then they can still sell it and not be their problem.

It’s such a fine line these days its ridiculous.

He prolly was sounding ricey so the cop noticed his exhaust.

Knock on wood, I’ve never gotten an exhaust ticket. I also know how to drive when a police officer is around, and I’m not gunning it or keeping it in 1st or 2nd gear the entire time.

And I think many here who have heard my Porsche and the M3 know that they’re fuggin loud.

Bingo, that’s why everything says “for off road use”

OP, your friend totally got trolled. :rofl That would be like giving you aJ-walking ticket in front of your house because you parked on the opposite side and did not use a crosswalk…:rofl

Unless crime rate is at 0, and only then shall a exhaust tip ticket became legit.

Rice control is just as important as crime control these days.

shit I just got pulled over for having big rimz

diss is cray

:lol

I’m sure there are many more VT&L laws that are complete BS. Doesn’t surprise me this is one of them.

Fucking ricers

so whats the fucking ticket code , post that shit

Article 9 Section 375-31

yea i got your exhaust ticket one day though, it’s okay cause i still love you and your day was a lot worse then a stupid ticket.

New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law section VTL 375-31:

1. Mufflers and exhaust systems. Prevention of noise. Every motor
    vehicle, operated or driven upon the highways of the state, shall at all
    times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system in
    constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or
    unusual noise and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped
    with a cut-out, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the
    muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will
    amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of
    such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system
    originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler
    and
    exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section.
    A muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle
    plates, or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust
    gas from an internal combustion engine, and effective in reducing noise.
    An exhaust system is a series of mechanical devices for the purpose of
    receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and expelling
    it into the atmosphere.

There’s nothing that specifically mentions exhaust being too big, however if it’s even a little louder than stock, the ticket will probably be upheld, even if it is ridiculously petty. I’m guessing that maybe there was something else going on that caused your buddy to get the ticket, because looking at the pic, it’s hard to imagine a cop pulling over that car just for it’s exhaust unless it was crazy loud.